[Reader-list] Caste System, Dalits and Hinduism

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 12:45:18 IST 2008

It would be good if Aditya would tell us who this Dhirendra A Shah is.
My guess is, he has something to do with the Hindutva formation, because
the theory of caste he is advancing reflects that formation's
occasional, unconvincing claim that it opposes casteism. Unconvincing,
because the BJP's use of the “caste card” in elections is well
documented. Dhirendra Shah's theory of caste in Hinduism would not have
been worth discussing if Aditya and some others had not taken it upon
themselves to turn Reader-list into a platform for pushing the Hindutva
agenda.

That they are doing this in the name of Kashmiri Pandits (as opposed to
all Kashmiri migrants/refugees) shows two things: (a) They are not above
casteism, as non-Brahmin migrants seem to have no place in their
rhetoric, nor - as Shuddha has pointed out – in the rhetoric of the
saffron organisations that claim to give succour to these unfortunate
people. (b) They are not above exploiting even these Brahmins – Aditya's
own caste community - in the interest of the Sangh Parivar. I find it
difficult to believe that Aditya and others do not know the Pandits
stand to lose the sympathy of many Indians because of the way their
plight is being exploited for the sake of communal politics.

Coming to Shah's theory, there are several things that are miles wide of
the mark.

 > There is a misconception in some minds that Hindu scriptures sanction
 > the castesystem. But being based on Vedas, Hinduism does not permit
 > any caste system, whatsoever. Vedas, the proud possession of mankind,
 > are the foundation of Hinduism.

Shah is confident that he knows what is a misconception of Hinduism and
what is the correct conception. This is remarkable, because not only
scholars, but even the Parivar itself has had a great deal of trouble
deciding precisely what can be called Hinduism, given the heterogeneity
of practices going under that name. At the VHP's second World Hindu
Conference in Allahabad (1979), Various Hindu groups failed to find a
solid common ground. The compromise definition of a Hindu was this:
anyone who recites prayers, reads the Gita, worships a personal deity of
one's own choice, uses the holy sound Om, and plants the tulsi (basil)
plant. One wonders how many Hindus today satisfy these criteria.

What exactly Shah means when he says Hinduism is based on the Vedas is
not clear. True, this a popular impression, but its source – the belief
of early European scholars that they could understand the religion by
reading ancient Sanskrit texts - has been abandoned long ago on account
of its obvious inadequacy. These days it is recognised that a religion
is not only, or even mainly, its scriptures. It is also, in a very major
way, its practice. I think no one will disagree that for most Hindus,
the Vedas are a shadowy presence, a name vaguely remembered from school
textbooks – that is, for those who have been fortunate enough to go to
school. And caste is very much a practice in contemporary Hinduism. If
anyone doubts this, she can simply look at figures for caste-based
killings, discrimination, etc., that are prevalent in varying degrees in
many areas.

When someone talks about the so-called universalism of the Vedas, one
must remember that the caste system was also the creation of the Vedas
in the form of varnas. There is probably a similarity here with George
Washington's talk of equality – which meant equality for white people,
not slaves of African descent. Also, it is factually incorrect that the
caste system became rigid under British rule. The codes of Manu are very
harsh about keeping Shudras and women in their respective places. There
is also the episode, in at least one version of the Ramayana, of Ram
cutting off the head of Shambuka the Shudra because he had been
practising things that were supposed to be the exclusive domain of
Brahmins.

Dehistoricising the Vedas and the Hindu religion as a whole serves only
one purpose – creation of a myth about Hinduism that serves the Sangh
Parivar's political purpose. It does not help to eradicate casteism or
other harmful practices.

Lastly, it would be good to know what exactly is the basis of the
assertion that the Gita is a sublimation of the Vedas and Upanishads.

Tapas