[Reader-list] Lalon & Terror: Re-configuring Political Map During Emergency

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 10:16:18 IST 2008

> From: Shuddhabrata Sengupta <shuddha at sarai.net>
>  It has been argued, not without reason, that they could have been
> introduced into the constitution, through the back door, as it were,
> only during periods of military dictatorship.

And that is precisely why all of us on the Bangla Left/Secular front
are deeply worried because after 77 and 81 this is a third military
regime, hidden as a "soft" Caretaker Government. Tremendous damage has
been done to Bangladesh's secular character by the juntas of Zia
(77-81) and Ershad (81-91). Will this be a third junta with similar
impact? We fear that the December elections will be an army-managed
affair, where Jamaat e Islami will post major gains. These statue
incidents are dry run for such outcomes.