[Reader-list] A Dinner for List-Readers, Durga Chalisa, Internal-Internal Displacement, and Zulikha as indersalim

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 00:36:18 IST 2008

A Dinner for List-Readers ( an imaginary meet )

Dear All,

This is sheer fantasy, an imaginary meet organized by Saria List
organizers. The invitation goes to all the members of the Sarai Reader
List.

A DINNER FOR SARAI  LIST-READERS

Jallad se darte hain na, vaiz se jhagarte;  ham samjhe hue hain usssay
, jis bhes mein jo aya,
( neither afraid of the hangman, nor do I argue with the preacher, we
have understood them well, whosoever comes, in whatever disguise.

Well, for the sake for Fantasy, in this meet, I see meaning in the
disguise,  keeping in view the exceptional need to meet in person,
participants are motivated to come in whatever guise they deem fit for
their physical presence. It is all open for any kind of dresses for
any kind of interpretation.

Such as  Burka/Hijjab/Purdah ( veil),  Sherwani with Gandhi topi,  red
kurta with johola ( bag ), Saffron with rudkash malla, flowery
designs,  Yasin Malik's black, all shewatambari white, all indersalim
nude, ( a nude with some tail like thing for myself ), dresses with
Azadi on T-shirts, Tri colours, and  paki-crescent on each side of the
T-shirts. Root-in-kashmir who can actually come with some real
uprooted tree to the party, Durga chalisa printed on  saree, Mustard
nizamudin caps, and kashmiri sufi triangular caps. Blue tie with
elephants, pipal tree leaves pasted on the body. A tattoo:  mix of
Danish cartoon and Hussain's paintings, Taslima's anti-mullah text,
circus clown, etc…

In short participants are simply free to express their personality
through their respective dresses. There will be no lecturing. Mr.
Shuddha will read his short welcome note to the guests and request the
participants to  avoid entering into arguments, since this special ' A
Dinner for List-Readers' is arranged to let the garments meet the
garments.  He will speak a little about the metaphysical and
discursive nature of the  'Performance '  as a mime show, inherent
within which is the conceptual frame of vast subjectivity; fraction of
which has come to the fore on  the List for last couple of years,
through opinions opposite to each other.

There will be no CCTV cameras, to monitor, to record a clever 'elbow'
nudge or so.  So participants are expected to behave as best as a
human beings are expected to behave during such exceptional meets.
There is an element of theatre in all this, which is because the
inherent nature of all that is happening around us, within list and
beyond. For example, not only all religions inspire a lot of theatre
which we play for or emancipation and entertainment , but the religion
itself, if seen from that unique angle, looks fantasy and theatre
itself.

The contradiction are numerous, but we wont go into the detail of
that, since some of participants are serious believers and would not
like to see  their dear religion as a part of some theatre or fantasy,
and as this meet is happening on this earth's earth, which is neither
their hell like nor their heaven like, so unique.

The date is not still fixed, but I propose  3ist December, and that
will give enough time for the participants to think, dream their
creative dresses. All the expenses will be borne by the participants,
except the dinner which will be organized by List organizers.
Suggestions are awaited to improve this exceptional dinner.

Yes, the Menu will be quite secular with respectable distance to all
the counters with  different dishes.

love and regards
inder salim

………………………………………………………………………………………

 Durga Chalisa : a fragment of verse is like this :  Rakha kar prahlad
bachayo, Hiranya kayap ko Surg patayo ( You protected Prahlad from his
cruel father Hirnaya kashyap, and you sent this Hiranya kashyap to
Heaven, after death )

 goddess Durga, caused Hiranya kashyp to behave so. God-like ( Nimrodh
) that he caused the birth of Narshimsha Avatar ( one of the
reincarnations of Lord Vishnu ), half animal-half lion ( sphinx like )
who killed him for his sins.  Remember, this Hirnya kashyp tortured
his son Prahlad as one can imagine how police does  to their guests in
their custody, besides declaring himself God.

So,  hell is the other people ? Even Daryodhana of Mahabharata too got
a room in heaven. So, Hell is a place for ordinary people, like us,
and the Heaven  for all those who are  elite  actors of the epic.  See
image at http://indersalim.livejournal.com

………………………………………………………………….
Sab Raqubon se hun na kush,  par zanan-e- misr se, hai zulaikha kush,
kih mav-e-mah-e-kanan ho gain ( Mirza Ghalib )

The story is like this: Zulikha,  was very unhappy with her rival
women , and particularly the women of Egypt  who would tease her for
falling in love with a slave, but when these women saw the slave-
Yousuf, they became stunned in disbelief and stopped teasing Zulikha-
the wife of chief of Egypt .

 Glossary : 1. Zulikha=InderSalim, wife of King of Egypt.. 2. Yousuf,
the Slave = Kashmir and Kashmir . 3 .women of Egypt= on the list who
tease Indersalim
……………………………………………………………………………
Internal-Internal Displacement ( in Kashmir)

Sufi poet, Wahab khar's popular Kashmiri poem, sung by Gh. Hassan sofi
( Che kamiv karinay taveez paan…yarrow-vaan, bal-e-yaaro vaan )

O,  you, my dearest one, who tied you in talismanic threads,
 Tell me, my love ?
( you were the only one, but … )

Angles are clueless about my existence, and (He) who created me from
nothingness,  (paradoxically), remained hidden inside my own body.
 ( I wanted to talk about that, but ,,, )

I was a tall Eucalyptus from deep forest, now voiceless, because the
merciless axe-man felled me.
( If only you were next to me, but… )

Kicked out from the deep forest, I was rolled down into the sleepy
world.  Now, all I hear is this sharp saw machine's cruel sound.
( Once I used to listen your songs… )

With His tools, he created wonderful artefacts from my body,  and
(like an artist/carpenter )  he speaks about His genius.  ( Now this
makes me laugh, but, you my dearest one, who tied you in talismanic
threads, tell me, my love ? )

If only you could have been mine, what could
not have been possible in this world
(  Momin-Khan-Momin ,transcreated by Aga Shahid Ali )

love and regards
is

--

http://indersalim.livejournal.com