[Reader-list] [Announcements] [DFA NewsLetter] Fwd: Our Family on NDTV

Kavita Joshi kj.impulse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 13:46:08 IST 2008

From: Chandita Mukherjee <chandita.mukherjee at gmail.com>
Date: 2008/10/30
Subject: Our Family on NDTV

Dear friends,
We are pleased to inform you that our film "Our Family" will be shown
on NDTV 24x7, in the 1 pm-2 pm documentary slot on Sunday 2nd
November.

Please do watch and pass the word on! We'd be delighted to receive
feedback from you. Apologies for cross-posting.
Warm regards,
Anjali and Jayasankar

Our Family
http://ourfamily2007.wordpress.com/
Tamil with English subtitles, 2007

Directed by K.P. Jayasankar and Anjali Monteiro
Produced by the Centre for Media and Cultural Studies, Tata Institute
of Social Sciences

What does it mean to cross that line which sharply divides us on the
basis of gender? To free oneself of the socially constructed onus of
being male? Is there life beyond a hetero-normative family?

Set in Tamilnadu, India, 'Our Family' brings together excerpts from
Nirvanam, a one person performance, by Pritham K. Chakravarthy and a
family of three generations of trans-gendered female subjects. Aasha,
Seetha and Dhana, who are bound together by ties of adoption, belong
to the community called Aravanis (aka Hijras, in some parts of India).
Aasha Bharathi, the grandmother, is the president of the Tamilnadu
Aravanigal Association, Chennai. Seetha, the daughter lives with her
male partner Selvam, in Coimbatore. Dhana, Seetha's adopted daughter
also lives with her and shuttles between her adopted and her natal
families.

The film juxtaposes the 'normality' of their existence with the dark
and powerful narrative by Pritham- 'Nirvanam'; Nirvanam (Liberation)
refers to the act of liberating oneself from the male body and
transforming oneself to a female. This narrative bears witness to the
tumultuous journey towards a reinvented selfhood, a journey fraught
with violence, exploitation, affection and courage. The pains,
pleasures and dilemmas of becoming the 'other' is the motif of the
film. Weaving together performance, life histories and everyday life,
it problematises the divides between 'us' and 'them'.

Awards

§  Special Mention of the Jury, Signs 2007

§  Certificate of Merit and Special Mention of the Jury, MIFF 2008

§  Indian Documentary Producers Association (IDPA) Gold for Best Sound Design

§  IDPA Gold for Best Script

§  IDPA Silver for Editing

§  IDPA Certificate of Merit for the Best Documentary

Anjali Monteiro, Ph.D., Professor
K.P. Jayasankar, Ph.D., Professor
Centre for Media and Cultural Studies
Tata Institute of Social Sciences
VN purav Marg, Deonar, Bombay 400 088, India
Phone:    +91 22 2552 5660 and 5661 (Work)
Fax:      +91 22 2552 5050    e-mail: cmcs.tiss at gmail.com
       http://ourfamily2007.wordpress.com/
       http://naata.wordpress.com/

More OPTIONS are on the web: