[Reader-list] ways of life...contd.

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Mon Sep 1 17:47:38 IST 2008

Here is a brief paragraph from a e-book on canada. from http://www43.statcan.ca/01/01b/01b_001_e.htm

"Ways of life

In Canada, as the ice sheets retreated and life re-emerged, groups of
humans gradually began to occupy the entire land mass, up to the
northernmost regions. For more than 10,000 years, they developed
original cultures and ways of life suited to their environment. Then,
a few centuries ago, the Europeans arrived, bringing with them a
culture that was the product of long development in another—and very
different—world. In the beginning, their relationship to this 'new'
territory was dictated strictly by European needs for fish, furs and
wood. However, those who settled in Canada eventually developed ways
of living that combined the lifestyles and cultures of both the Old
World and the Aboriginal peoples. Then, some decades ago, Canadian
society fell into step with other developed countries in a frenzied
race to produce and consume. It has since achieved one of the highest
standards of living in the world, but at the price of considerable
stress on the environment."

Nothing extraordinary. Many in this lists will find affinity with
various permutation of this narrative.  The actors will change with
different circumstances. The end may be in various degrees of
incompletion or with various degree of wounds.

The question around "ways of life" is understood well when we :
i) assume an homogeneity,
ii) or a critique of environmental degradation
iii) or marketing new developments in lifestyle or real estate

It attracts.

But to think through the question of "ways of life" in an
heterogeneous environment will be next big intellectual challenge.
This to my own understanding canNOT be done within the rubric
orchestrated around the closed and numbing constellation of state,
nation, religion, and industry. This constellation almost makes it
impossible to think among others :
  - how we resolve and live conflicts in our daily life (only a small
fraction of our daily conflicts reaches the courts!)
- how to belong or not to belong or imagine multiple belongings or not
to belong
- how we makes draw spiritual resources to live with our bafflement,
wonderment and mysteries
- how to rethink our relation to our body and that amazing great mass
called nature.......

warmly
jeebesh