[Reader-list] Habba Kadal: Public Anger Forces Troopers To Apologize

Shivam Vij शिवम् विज् mail at shivamvij.com
Mon Sep 1 18:22:50 IST 2008

Protests in Habba Kadal against CRPF

Public Anger Forces Troopers To Apologize

ARIF SHAFI WANI
Srinagar, Aug 31:
http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=1_9_2008&ItemID=28&cat=1

Continuing with its beating spree, the troopers of paramilitary CRPF
thrashed many people, including a youth at Habba Kadal and its
adjoining areas during the curfew relaxation on Sunday.

The incident triggered massive demonstrations against the troopers
with people demanding action against them. However, the situation was
prevented for escalation after the CRPF tendered apology to the locals
and promised against the accused troopers.

The trouble began when the troopers allegedly thrashed a youth, Abdul
Rauf, who was on way to local masjid at Habba Kadal Chowk. As the news
about the incident spread, hundreds of people took to streets and
staged demonstrations against the CRPF.

"I was walking towards the masjid when the troopers started to
severely thrash me with batons. I told them that there is no curfew
still they continued to beat me. I was rescued by the policemen
otherwise the troopers would have killed me," said Abdul Rauf while
showing bruises on his body.

Shouting pro-freedom and anti-CRPF slogans, the protesters accused the
erring troopers of harassment.

"The troopers don't allow us even to offer congregation prayers during
the curfew relaxation period. This is sheer interference in our
religious matters. To protest against the incident, we have locked the
masjid. We won't tolerate anybody who stops us for offering prayers,"
the angry protesters added.

As the protesters started to march towards the troopers, a police team
led by station house officer of Habba Kadal, Zahoor Ahmad reached the
spot. "I will take action against the accused troopers but don't take
law into your hands," the SHO told the protesters. However, they
refused to disperse.

"The troopers have made our lives a hell. They have been abusing and
harassing us for past many weeks just to avenge our peaceful protests
against the economic blockade. This is sheer hooliganism. Take action
against the troopers otherwise we will not move from the road," the
protesters told the SHO.

Situation took an ugly turn when some youth exchanged heated arguments
with the CRPF troopers. "You can't suppress our movement. We want
freedom from your terror and are ready to sacrifice our lives for it,"
the youth shouted at the nervous looking troopers.

In the meantime, an armored vehicle of CRPF zoomed into the locality
to disperse the protesters. But the protesters stood their ground.
"Don't move even if he opens fire," said an aged man while pointing
towards a troopers with machine gun on the armored vehicle.

Sensing gravity of the situation, senior police and CRPF officials
reached the spot. "Your safety is our priority. We will look into the
matter," DSP, Zulfikar told the protesters. As the protesters refused
to disperse, a CRPF officer apologized for the incident.

"I apologize for the any kind of inconvenience you faced because of my
troopers. I assure you action against the accused troopers and promise
that this kind of incident won't be repeated," the CRPF officer with
folded hands told the protesters. Later the protesters peacefully
dispersed.

Reports said the troopers beat up many people in various parts of
Shehr-e-Khas who ventured out to buy eatable during curfew relaxation.

Pertinent to mention that during the past week there have been many
incident where troopers without any provocation thrashed the people
mainly during the curfew relaxation hours.