[Reader-list] Kashmir-Tanks on busy market squares - Harsh Mander

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:30:51 IST 2008

Yes I agree he ought to have been careful but I think what he¹s referring to
here is what we call commensurate force or lack thereof.  At the height of
militancy in the Œ90s this could have been understandable but I think these
things ought to be reviewed periodically and calibrated like troop strength
and the locations of bunkers.

Do you really require armoured vehicles (bulletproof, mineproof, IED proof)
with LMGs mounted on top at street corners in the Valley when the levels of
incidents have dropped?  I¹d feel pretty offended if one moved into my
neighbourhood. I¹ve objected to armed bodyguards that trail behind important
politicians in Lodi Park.  I don¹t like the way guns have littered our
landscape and become part of it.  We¹ve gotten so used to them now that
we¹ve almost forgotten what life looked like without them, when the
policeman wielded nothing deadlier than a stout staff and the army man a
bolt action three-naught-three.