[Reader-list] Delhi University gets ABVP president after 8 years

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 20:20:07 IST 2008

Delhi University gets ABVP president after 8 years
6 Sep, 2008, 1748 hrs IST, IANS

   NEW DELHI: Nupur Sharma of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP)
- the student<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/PoliticsNation/Delhi_University_gets_ABVP_president_after_8_years/articleshow/3452505.cms#>wing
of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) - was elected the president of the
Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) for 2008-09 here on Saturday.

Sharma, who is a student of law, got a total of 10,345 votes to defeat Sonia
Sapra of the National Students Union of India (NSUI) by a margin of 1,639
votes.

"Besides my own work agenda, I will work on the issues which have been taken
up by my predecessor," said Sharma, a member of ABVP, said.

It's after eight years that ABVP has won the post of the president in DUSU
polls. The rest of the posts - that of the vice president, the secretary and
the general secretary - have been won by NSUI, the students' wing of the
Congress.

"Since the last eight years, DU has always had a president from NSUI while
the other posts were mostly taken by ABVP. This time it's the other way
around," Vinod Budhiraj of the NSUI told IANS.

Manohar Nagar was elected the vice president after he defeated Vasu Rukhar
of ABVP by a margin of 600 votes, Amit Chaudhary became the secretary after
he beat Anupriya Yadav by 300 votes and Ashish Gehlot was elected the joint
secretary after defeating Mukesh Shukla by a margin of 1,200 votes.

The polls, which were held Friday, saw a low voter turnout of just about 35
percent. That however didn't deter the political parties and the cub
politicians of the varsity in going all out and campaigning till the last
moment to woo voters or of taking out noisy victory processions on Saturday.

     Click here<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/PoliticsNation/Delhi_University_gets_ABVP_president_after_8_years/articleshow/3452505.cms#write>
 *to comment on this story.*