[Reader-list] Kashmir-Tanks on busy market squares - Harsh Mander

Tilak Upadhyay tilaku at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 02:49:01 IST 2008

January 1992. Five of us took a trip to the Seven Sisters. A long time
tourist-dream. Heard about some 'disturbances' but reckoned that we had
sufficient and reliable contacts in all the north-eastern states. We were in
our early teens at Kolkata during 1968-1972 and remembered how we only came
to know about a lot of such 'disturbances' only through the newspaper the
next morning! So we went and – returned 'safely'!

However we got learned about guns and curfew!

Kohima was unbeatable – curfew was at 4.30pm! Earlier I lost count after 63
– being the number of pickets on the hillside occupied by armed Indian Army
personnel, while on the 74 km road from Dimapur to Kohima. Additionally we
crossed or overtook an equal number of small groups on foot or in all sorts
of bizarre vehicles (not tanks, Kshmendra!). A curfew pass to visit our well
connected 'contact' in a police vehicle gave us the opportunity to get the
'feel' of this deserted State Capital an hour after we had entered what was
then a hubbub of activity. Locals smiled and said (borrowing from Sonia)
that they had "gotten so used to" all this! Everyday, for months at a
stretch. At Dimapur it was 6pm; 8pm at Imphal and Shillong; 10 at
Guwahati...

And guns! I'm sure one would not see so many types even in an Army
Cantonment unless one strayed into the armoury. The short ones and the long;
with holes in the barrel and those with the butt at right angle to the
barrel. Realised what 'mind boggling' meant! You could see them almost
everywhere. In every State excepting Arunachal. On this account the
unbeatable experience was at the famous 'Ema Market' at Imphal. For every
maybe five female shop owners at this woman-run market there was one 'jawan'
with a gun held in readiness while tracing Brownian patterns in this crowded
bazaar. Hitting the barrel of the gun with my elbow a number of times and
looking up startled into the cold eyes of Jats each time I distinctly
remember hearing one of my friends mutter, "You can tell where all this
unity in our country emanates from".

Today as we talk about Kashmir – I remember the Seven Sisters I last saw in
1992.

Anyone on this list been there recently?

Warmly
Tilak