[Reader-list] Ways of Life and Transgressions

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 15:20:43 IST 2008

Dear Yousf,

Let us keep it simple.

I should have used the word ' unwittingly' instead 'boldly' and that
might have saved you from writing " I am the last person on earth to
condemn artists for having monopoly on liberalism ". I know you are
not against artists, and I consider you too an artist in your own
unique way.

Now you are looking for an alternative, right, take a case like Babri
Masjid. The Sang Parivar thought that their sentiments are 'hurt'
because a king demolished a temple and constructed a mosque on the
same spot. I am not speaking on behalf of Muslims, but on behalf of
Liberals, ( as  it is convenient to use ) that the mosque should not
have  been demolished.  But the monopoly on 'hurt' scored and we
witnessed a monumental tragedy.  what was the alternative?

There are hundreds of other such examples where this kind of 'hurt'
scored and we are reduced to mute spectators.  A government, based on
a secular constitution should not have given in to this so called
'hurt'. That is my premise. Recently there was an attack on a very
small exhibition of prints by Hussain organized by Sahmat. These are
not simple hooligans but are from a strong political base with an
agenda, to create a panic. They were so daring that they even called
the TV channels to document their action. How to denounce that, May be
Mr. Ishwar has an answer, People should be told simply that ' freedom
of expression' is as important to life as water, food and sleep.
Recently, an Italian museum rejected the Pope's desire to remove a
frog- Christ sculpture from their display. There was no hue and cry
from Christians world.  We need to learn from those examples. What is
so big about a cartoon. Cartoons are made to bring humour in our lives
and not hate. We need to cultivate an accurate sense of 'hurt'.  It is
time we feel hurt because of immense environmental degradation on our
planet.  We should be ashamed of our acts against women.  We should
feel 'hurt' on seeing people begging on the streets.

 Any answer Mr. Iswar,  why Taslima Nasreen was hounded out of Inidia.
Both Hussain and Taslima are known for their inaccurate works, but
have found a huge support from artists , poets writers and other such
segments of our society.  are we insane that we support a Taslima and
a Hussain, a Chandra Mohan from time to time. We are, indeed a small
segment of our society, and if we all don't support this minority
within the minority then what we have is complete absence of
alternative.   Is that what you want for the sake of a ' majority'.

Who is afraid of Artists, poets, and dancers?  Hussain sahib was once
a Rajya Sahba member, and all he did there was drawings of politicians
arguing in the parliament.  I wish he had drawn them masturbating
during sessions.  He is less courageous,  we all know, but in any
case, is he a threat to our society, or someone who announces monetary
awards to behead the artist or a writer? Opposing 'freedom of
expression' is not a 'view point'  but a bully.

Of course, artists and poets love audiences, without audiences there
is not art and culture, but how come we oppose a change of taste even.
Haven't people clapped to something fresh, new and radical, even on
the stage when politicians play it out like actors on the stage.
People want change, but 'some of well read persons' want to keep us
unchanged.   Even now we have very few women poets, let alone the past
when there were little chances for them to come forward. Males of the
family  and society were often hurt as and when their daughters would
come out in the open. Is it a view point ?  We are all here for a
change. Let us support the change.  Prophets and saints too have been
poets in their own unique ways who have always uttered verse with
freshness of mood and change. But we simply become worshippers of that
change, and obstruct the possibility of  change 'unwittingly'

Yes, millions go the Haridwar for a sacred dip. But, I guess the dip
becomes a very small component of the journey to a pilgrimage . The
spectacle of a concentrated human mass is what attracts the people.
The urge to brush shoulders with others, new clothes, picnic and
exchange of looks with strangers is what seduces the average Indian.
that is true, because the pollution level in Ganga does not 'hurt'
them in the first place, which proves they are not too serious about
the holdy dip.
Who is truly religious? The same applies to people who go to Haj.

With love
is