[Reader-list] information on lunatics of the border areas

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Mon Sep 8 11:58:16 IST 2008

Hi all,

Going through some old notebooks this morning, I found that I had
clipped this improbable story, almost certainly a plant, but a bizarre
one, from The Hindu of June 2002. Of course, it reminded me of Manto's
Toba Tek Singh. I was wondering if anyone on this list had heard
anything more about this story, or about where it might have come from?

Thanks
Vivek

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2002/06/03/stories/2002060301791200.htm

Rise in number of 'lunatics'in border areas

Sriganganagar (Rajasthan) June 2. A sudden increase in the number of
lunatics in the border areas is causing concern to the district
administration, which is keeping a close watch on the ``new phenomenon''
amid reports of Pakistani sleuths being drugged and pushed into India, a
top official said.

The District Collector, Ram Avtar, told reporters here today that
``there have been reports that Pakistani spies, injected with some kinds
of drugs, are being pushed into India''. Under the influence of the
drugs they behaved like lunatics for about a fortnight and did not
arouse suspicion. After the effect of the drug wore out, they would mix
with the local population to fulfil their assigned mission.

He said orders had been issued to keep a strict vigil on lunatics being
brought to hospitals in the border areas and ticketless travellers.

The Collector said the administration had also taken several measures to
meet any eventuality in the wake of heightened tensions on the border .

— PTI