[Reader-list] Breakthrough in Singur

radhikarajen at vsnl.net radhikarajen at vsnl.net
Wed Sep 10 13:31:09 IST 2008

What went wrong in Singur and nandigram, is the basic question that needs immediate attention of all the citizens of the nation.

  Basically as I see it, the west bengal governance did not take the common man, farmer, farm worker in to confidence may be because it had so much more confidence on its "disciplined" cadres to do whatever it takes to oppress the opposers if they had the courage to oppose being landless. Secondly, governance did not take in to account that "compensation" fixed was adequate or otherwise was not pondered upon as the only means of livelihood of the small farners was being forcibly taken off under  legal provision enacted in the days of british India. In democratic life, when we talk of freedom of right to live, the governance thought it fit to snatch lands from the most hapless and weak citizen to "industrialise" the state, and this courage of governance was further reinforced with cadres running freely the writ of the CPM with guns and bombs in the areas. Rape of a young woman to enforce that writ to forcibly enforce the taking over of the lands was a shock even to "intellect
uals" of jola patti type who always talk of equality and justice.

  If at all, the Tatas had a better choice to take up barren lands instead of fertile lands little further down the road, but no, this zcar of modern India unlike his ancestors, who took barren lands at Mitapur or in jamshedpur has had other ideas, to make rich mans toy, small car at subsidised lands, later the price tag can be adjusted as seen in previous instance of poor mans rich car, Maruthi.

  When do we understand that free India, has to have inclusive growth and not exclusive growth as seen by all now.

 An Ambani building a home worth 20 billion with helipad, spa, swimming pool at shareholders cost, does not bother about the common man who can not even earn his meal a day, as this industrialist throws up lavish parties for the hangers on and political bosses, as the visual media covers his visit to Madam, for favours. ?

Regards.