[Reader-list] SC refuses to take action against M F Husain

inder salim indersalim at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 21:59:15 IST 2008

Dear Alaxendra

Thanks for reporting the sad news  of Manjit Singh. The artist needs a
full support from all of us.  Here, by 'us' I means the saner part of
the society, because those who vandalize shows in galleries on this
pretext or that are finally possessing a sick mind. And those who
support, or are silent about such actions are equally to be blamed.

 Now I visualize  Bharat Mata ( untitled by artist ) Painting by MF
Hussain, with a seal and stamp of Supreme Court.  It is indeed an
occasion to celebrate  the product which has now ISI ( Indian
standards institution ) mark on it.  It is like a mosquito-repellent
which is injurious to our lungs but it kills those insects who spread
deadly disease like dengue and malaria.

So, in short we need to support a Hussain, a Taslima, a Manjit Singh,
a Chander Mohan  in India. That is the need of hour. But how to keep
the population of  these right winged insects in check. Is our
('stagnant') way of living finally responsible for the growth of this
fundamentalism?   Or are we really stuck in some sort of rut?

While voting, we, those who celebrate on SC judgment on Hussain, would
vote either a congress or a Left.  But isn't it  true that not a
single Congresswalla has ever come out boldly in support of Hussain .
And we know how the The Left went terribly wrong with Taslima
Nasreen's  issue. Narender Modi kind of politicians are doing their
business on expected lines. Now, who are these 'we' who love to call
themselves 'saner' part of the society and want to be protected by
Law? Are  we really unwanted ?

This time it is clear that the Judiciary is divided on the issue of
Hussain. People in general will laugh, and the Hon arable  Judges will
issue orders to arrest me, if I publicly demand  the immediate
resignation of those High Court Judges who found 'Hussain' dangerous
for our society. Because if they don't have an understanding of Art (
even if it is not art )  why do we expect some justice from them in
some other cases even.  Or, am  I unnecessarily too worried about the
rot in our Administration.  We know how corrupt can be a Judge.  And
do we finally need a Judge to Judge a painting or a work of art ?

The attack on Manjit Singh explains one thing very clearly that there
are enough people in India who don't respect the Law of the Land. It
is a paradox .

On the list, regarding discussion on Kashmir, those who vehemently
oppose the just cause of Kashmiri freedom struggle, often talk about
the disrespect to the Law of Land by Kashmiri Muslims.

It is interesting to note that those who strongly oppose  ' Law of the
Land' here criticize the other...

So in this case, SC judgement on Hussain, do they have a comment on that ?

With love

Inder salim

p.s. enjoyed to see  your JUGAADOO.COM

http://indersalim.livejournal.com