[Reader-list] From Delhi after Bombings

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sun Sep 14 11:29:06 IST 2008

Dear all,

Thanks to all those who have begun responding off list and on list to
this post. In my bleary eyed early morning sleeplessness, I made a
mistake about today's date in the body of the posting. The fragment
that reads -  'in the early hours of the 13th of September' should
obviously read, 'in the early hours of the 14th of September.'

I think we should also remind ourselves that many precious lives were
saved by the alertness of what the morning's newspapers chose to call
'rag-pickers'. These itinerant informal entrepreneurs of waste and
residue (often so-called 'illegal' emigrants from Bangladesh) when
they escape anonymity, are usually vilified as a shadowy, quasi-
criminal, underclass who sniff glue, act as scouts for criminals and
terrorists, and harbour all sorts of malingerers. The police
regularly thrashes them, extorts money from them, and occasionally, a
pious NGO or two will dignify those amongst them with a slightly
firmer entitlement to 'legality'  with 'Identity Cards' , so that the
thrashings of the police can be a little softened from time to time.
This only means that those with precarious claims to Indian
citizenship, (those with an obviously east Bengali sibilance to their
speech) get thrashed harder, setting off a mini civil war between the
'deserving' and the 'un-deserving' poor born of a triangulation of
the enigma of Indian citizenship, NGO activism and the blunt edge of
a regulation Delhi Police lathi.

So here is a salute to all those called 'rag pickers' in Delhi,
regardless of whether or not they can be decorated with the fig leaf
of Indian citizenship. In the end, they have proved at least in this
instance, that as far as saving lives are concerned, they do a better
job than the police.

regards,

Shuddha