[Reader-list] Pak says no to Kashmir fruit

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 10:47:24 IST 2008

"We are shocked to learn that fruits have been excluded from the list. Over
60 Kashmiris have laid down their lives for opening of cross-LoC trade. We
are ready to offer more sacrifices for export of fruit. It is not merely a
matter of business but our self-respect and identity," president of Kashmir
Fruit Growers Association, Ghulam Rasool Bhat"
http://www.greaterkashmir.com/full_story.asp?Date=16_9_2008&ItemID=41&cat=1

Srinagar, Sep 15: A day after fruit growers expressed dismay over the
non-inclusion of Kashmir fruit in the list of items finalized for the
cross-LoC trade, officials of the Jammu and Kashmir government put the ball
in Pakistan's court on Monday saying that the other side had approved only a
few items and fresh fruits are not included in the final list.
 A top official of the Industry and Commerce department, wishing anonymity,
told *Greater Kashmir*, " It seems that Pakistan has approved only a few
items and they have refused to accept fresh fruit from Kashmir."
 The official said that Pakistan's refusal has not been made public so far.
"We are waiting for official communiqué from the union ministry," he added.
Sources said that state government had forwarded a list of 26 items to
Pakistan for approval. The items included carpets, wall hangings, papier
machie, shawls, crewel embroidery, Kashmiri woolen products, cricket bats,
silk, Kashmiri dry fruits, Kashmiri wazwan (special food delicacies),
basmati rice, fresh fruits, black mushroom, red kidney beans and green tea
besides other items.
 "We are in touch with the officials from other side and are trying to
ascertain why they are refusing to include other items proposed by us. So
far we haven't received any communiqué from their side," said another
official.
 He said that excluding fresh fruit from the list could hamper the prospects
of opening this road for trade.
 President of Federation Chamber of Industries Kashmir, Shakeel Qalandar
said, "We had sent a list of 65 items from our side, but we were told that
Pakistan may consider importing only 23 items from this side."
Qalanadar said that if Pakistan government approves only a few items then
opening of Srinagar- Muzaffarabad Road for trade won't serve any purpose.
"It will be then just a symbolic gesture."
 Meanwhile, an official spokesman today said that the list of items
forwarded by India to Pakistan includes fruits, both fresh and dry. List is
awaiting approval from Pakistan.
 The spokesman said that the lists of items for cross-LoC trade had since
been exchanged between India and Pakistan. However, the approval of the
Government of Pakistan was awaited, he added.
 Fruit growers in the Kashmir Valley suffered huge loses this year due to
the economic blockade over land row. The growers were first to demand
opening of Srinagar-Muzaffarabad Road for trade as most of their yield
turned into a rot this year.
 "We are shocked to learn that fruits have been excluded from the list. Over
60 Kashmiris have laid down their lives for opening of cross-LoC trade. We
are ready to offer more sacrifices for export of fruit. It is not merely a
matter of business but our self-respect and identity," president of Kashmir
Fruit Growers Association, Ghulam Rasool Bhat, had told *Greater Kashmir *on
Sunday