[Reader-list] after yesterday in Delhi

Partha Dasgupta parthaekka at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 18:25:14 IST 2008

Dear Kshmendra,
The questions you have asked about 'what is terror', etc is something I
would not like to elaborate on as each has his/her own interpretation.

Bhagat Singh is a freedom fighter as far as we Indians are concerned, but
for the govt of the day he was a terrorist. There is no 'standard'
definition of what a terrorist is and each person / entity would translate
the word in their own way.

As for defining LTTE as Hindu terrorists - guess that question is wide open
depending upon what we use as the pointer. If the primary factor is what
religion / group do they belong to, then we'd have a ready answer.

If, however, we look beyond and try to identify the aim / purpose behind the
conflict, there'd be another answer all together - some of them not very
clear.

Even if a 'terrorist' follows a ideology/religion/place/societal group -
that's a personal root that s/he has. It does not follow that all people of
the ideology/religion/place/societal group follow the same radical
conclusion.

Guess we could go on and on - fact is that we'll all equate the phrase
'terrorist' from our personal point of view and experiences.

Apologies for sounding vague, but you started a line of thought that I'd
never really looked at before.

Rgds, Partha

--
Partha Dasgupta