[Reader-list] kashmiriyat by Meena Arora Nayak

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 09:17:40 IST 2008

Notion of Azadi and Kashmiriyat
01-09-2008 U Mahesh Prabhu

Link - http://blogs.expressindia.com/showblogdetails.php?contentid=355989

Much is being written about the current state of affairs in Kashmir. The
'Azadi' of Kashmir and independence to 'Kashmiriyat', is being spoken of.
But what Azadi are they dreaming about? And which Kashmiriyat are they
talking of?

Have Hindus no share of that Kashmiriyat, on the basis of which separatists
are demanding an 'independent' state for themselves? Which Kashmiriyat are
they talking about—is it 500 or 5,000 years old? That was the time when
everyone in Kashmir was a Hindu. The separatists in the valley today, tend
to forget, and are even motivated to forget, the fact that they are
descendants of Hindu ancestors. In Kashmir, like in the rest of the country,
Hindus and Muslims have the same ancestors, share the same history, the same
culture, and the same land. Therefore, nationalism is also the same.

If that be so, then, how can ancestors change with change in religion and
mode of worship? Can it be construed that wherever Muslims are in majority
they will have their separate nationalism and get delinked from India? I
assume it to be so. This is the bitter truth about history and it has to be
accepted. The history of the world is replete with events illustrating that
whenever Muslims are in majority, fundamentalism has raised its head—giving
birth to separatist ideas. According to political pundits and philosophers
all over the world, national unity and separatism are two different and
completely opposing elements.

Paucity in the outlook of nationalism breeds regionalism which gives birth
to separatism. A powerful feeling of nationalism is the right weapon for
ending separatism. The reason the poison of separatism has spread over many
regions in India is due to the lack of a feeling of oneness—of being one
nation. In reality, when India achieved independence, the lawmakers should
have framed the constitution on the basis of the nation and its culture. But
the thought hardly crossed anyone's mind. The result was that national
outlook was eclipsed because educational and economic policies remained
divided in many social and political groups. Blind imitation of the western
pattern remained the base of our policies. Everything related to British
imperialism was considered supreme and we even visualized and understood the
nation and nationalism through the eyes of the west. Deliberately, British
historians presented, in a twisted form, our national history, national
culture, and national outlook, for their selfish political interest and in
becoming victims of their conspiracy we relinquished our ancient glory. The
result was that community, region, sect, and language, pushed back
nationalism. The problems of not just Kashmir, but also Assam, are its
products. Nationalism cannot be born without understanding national culture.
Right from the beginning, India has remained as one nation, one people and
one culture. According to Indian philosophy, nation is a cultural unit which
can be only developed—not constructed. In the west, however, nation has been
merged with the Government which has been considered a political unit.
Culture unites people and politics disintegrates them. Therefore, so long as
the nation remained linked with culture, this country stayed united; but
when western political influence became dominant, it gave birth to the
country's disintegration. This is also a misfortune of Kashmir. As long as
the high ideals of nation and national culture remained dominant, religious
activities remained linked with the Indian nation. But when religion was
brought into politics and the concept of an ethnic state developed, it paved
the way for separatism in Kashmir. The modes of worship born and developed
in Kashmir—which include snake worship, Shaivism, Buddhism, and
Vaishnavism—never came into conflict with one another because they remained
linked with Indian nationalism. Even foreign rulers like Kanishka and Mihir,
who belonged to the Kushan and Hun sects respectively, had accepted Buddhism
and Shaivism and while Indianising their sect had merged into the Indian
national mainstream. The advent of Islam in Kashmir, on the other hand, gave
birth to inter-sectarian conflict, religious conversion, and separatism. The
reason was clear—because fundamental Islam does not permit its follower to
get linked with any country and its national culture. Whenever there is
Muslim majority, there should be an Islamic state. Pakistan too, is the
result of this opinion. The forcible religious conversion of Hindus in
Kashmir and then their mass exodus are the offshoots of this anti-national
trend thriving in the valley. The Muslims in the valley should understand
that by joining Pakistan or by remaining independent, they will neither
remain safe nor can they protect their idea of Kashmiriyat. Their Islamic
principles too will remain safe in the Kashmiriyat based on the culture of
their ancestors. The amount of religious freedom that exists in Indian
culture is found nowhere. The dream of an independent Kashmir, too, is
unrealistic and Pakistan would never tolerate this. It will not give any
military or economic aid. What do they have to give? Hitherto, several
thousand crores of rupees have been spent on development of Kashmir by India
and all this will be stopped with de-accession. Kashmir's tourism industry,
economic development, and geographical security, are secure because of
India, and not due to Pakistan. Let's not forget that fact. The only
solution, I foresee, to the Kashmir problem is if our Kashmiri Muslim
brothers link themselves, like other Indians, with the national mainstream.
The Government of India needs to adopt solid steps for resolving the problem
after accepting it as a national issue and realization of its earlier
mistakes. But the misfortune of this country is that the politics of vote
come in the way of acceptance of mistakes. It is because of this that the
history of mistakes and foolishness keeps on repeating itself in this land.
There is a need for national consensus on protection of Kashmir which is
possible only if all political parties give up their selfish goals. But
national consensus is not possible because of paucity of national outlook.
When instead of the nation, eyes are fixed on power and vote banks, how can
national outlook grow?

Author is Fellow of Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland,
London (UK).