[Reader-list] First-person Account of Delhi Blast

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Sep 17 23:49:32 IST 2008

Dear Srirang and Shweta

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us on the list.
  I am sure that all list members will join me in wishing you and
your daughter Khushi a speedy recovery from this terrible and
traumatic experience. Your account underlines yet again the utter
pointlessness and perversity of all forms of terrorism, regardless of
whether it is unleashed by people within or without the state apparatus.

We spend a lot of time debating and discussing all sorts of issues on
this list, but situations like what you describe compel us all to
realize that ultimately these matters that we discuss do boil down to
questions of life, death, pain, fear, confidence  and safety for all
of us at deeply personal levels. I hope we never lose sight of that
fact, and I would like to thank you for reminding us, that in the
end, we are fragile, easily broken bodies, and that whatever we may
hold on to in terms of our ideas, convictions and ideologies must
ultimately be measured against the violence that is done, way to
easily, to fragile, easily broken bodies.

I was very touched by your account of the anonymous stranger who
helped reach you both and your child to RML Hospital. This anonymity,
that does not ask for a person's name, or identity, that sees an
injury as an injury, and not in terms of whether that injury can be
weighed against some easily deployed identity is the kind of
solidarity that all of us need in times like this. I hope we all find
our own anoymous strangers in times of need.

Thank you again, for showing us that this city that so many of us
live in is as capable of sudden generosity and kindness as it is of
terror

warm regards,

Shuddha