[Reader-list] Conference of Kashmiri Pandits to chalk future strategy

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 21:24:56 IST 2008

Conference of Kashmiri Pandits to chalk future strategy

Agencies
Posted online: September 19, 2008

Link -
http://www.kashmirlive.com/story/Conference-of-Kashmiri-Pandits-to-chalk-future-strategy/363413.html

*Jammu, September 19:  *Prominent Kashmiri pandits will participate in a
conference in Jammu in January to chalk out an action plan for the
"struggle" against militants and separatists that has entered a "crucial"
phase, Panun Kashmir has said.

"This conference assumes significance in view of the success of the recent
Amarnath agitation and endorsement of our stand for a separate homeland in
Kashmir by the BJP," said Agnishankar, convenor of the outfit advocating the
cause of the community that was forced to flee the Valley in the wake of
militancy.

"As nearly two decades come to a close since Pandits were forced to leave
the Valley, the Panun Kashmir has decided to organise the third conference
on January 19," he told reporters.

Agnishakher said Pandits who migrated from the Valley before 1990 and lived
in other parts of India, will be invited to the conference along with
delegates from across the world to decide the future course of action in the
wake of the "ambiguity on the part of the centre to rehabilitate pandits
back in the Valley".

"We have entered a crucial phase of our battle and from here on the
community needs to be prepared against terrorists and separatists operating
in Kashmir."

Representatives of nearly 55 lakh Sarswat Brahmins in India, who trace their
ancestry to Kashmir, will also participate in the conference, he added.

Panun Kashmir is demanding a "homeland" for four lakh Kashmiri Pandits in
the Valley with a union territory status.