[Reader-list] Seditious articles on Kashmir criticised

Aarti Sethi aarti.sethi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 01:02:06 IST 2008

Dear Lalit,

Yes he was released on "technical" grounds. The "technical" grounds that the
law acquits people on, namely on the utter lack of any evidence linking him
to the parliament attack. I know the fact that someone is innocent is a
flimsy excuse in your book because it would be much better to hang him
nonetheless and "salve the conscience of the nation", however you will be
surprised to know that evidence of culpability is actually pretty central to
the judicial process. Unfortunately, it is not simply enough for you to
believe that Geelani was behind the attack, it has to be proved. It has not
been proved. There is no evidence at all.

I have said this before on this list, and I am saying it again - terror,
whether by agents acting against the state and terror by the state are
mirrors of each other. Monstrous shadows that seemingly confront each other
in a relationship of tense alterity. And who is to say which is which and
who is whom?

In the times in which we live we will be asked again and again to suspend
our sense of justice, of ethical responsibility in the name of national
security, of fighting terror. To justify everything - fake encounters,
arrest without warrants, torture, detention on suspicion, rape - so that we
may all be safe. Safe from what? We are producing the ghosts that haunt us.

best
Aarti