[Reader-list] From Azamgarh

ambarien qadar ambarien at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 21:46:17 IST 2008

Dear all,

While we debate the modalities of what exactly happened at L-18 Batla House on Sept 19th 11am; Atif's ( one of the twenty four year old boy killed in the police encounter) father died of a massive cardiac arrest in Azamgarh this evening.
The grief and humiliation was just too much for him to deal with.
Zeeshan's, (one of the other two 'terrorists'  who, the police claims, managed to escape) father who is associated with The Shibli College, Azamgarh is too scared to speak. He knows not what might follow.
The sentiment is shared by his colleague who are convinced that whatever has happened, is more complicated than what is apparant.
Azamgarh is a sleepy little town on the border of UP and Bihar and many of its inhabitants have never seen an OB van or a TV crew in real life. The Shibli college, that was started with a vision of spreading secular education within Muslims, battles with a massive resource crunch. The presence of police and media battery is just too much for the inhabitants to come to terms with. The question some of them are asking now is that where was all this interest and attention when we were finding it dificullt to get jobs and get our children educated?
Parents of young men like Zeeshan and Atif ( Sajid, one of the two killed in the 'encounter' was just seventeen) have no other option than sending their children to places like Delhi where they can learn computers and speak fluent English.
What happens to them in places like Delhi is another story altogether.

Ambarien

__._,_.___

Visit Your Group

Yahoo! Finance