[Reader-list] A letter from Dr.Undre

Javed javedmasoo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 14:02:49 IST 2008

Sorry for bringing this subject to the list again – it is not meant to
provoke anyone but only a part of our mails investigating the recent
events.

I am quoting a letter from Dr.A.R.Undre, a surgeon at Jaslok and
Lilavati hospitals (Mumbai), which he wrote in response to the photo
of the injured Inspector Sharma. This letter is published in Rashtriya
Sahara's Urdu (Delhi) dated 24 September. I also suggesting that Urdu
press should not be ignored - its carrying its own interesting
dialogues. For instance, it carries today a photo of the dead body of
Sajid (one of the suspects killed in the encounter) before his
funeral, which shows more than 6 bullet wounds in his head -
suggesting that he was made to sit or lie on the ground and then shot
at point blank (would you call that encounter?). You can see the
picture in today's Rashtriya Sahara Urdu.

By quoting the letter below, I do not wish to undermine the martyrdom
of Inspector Sharma, but am still keen to know in what circumstances
did he die, and why couldn't his life be saved. This is important also
because the police has so far refused access to constable Balwant who
was also injured along with Sharma, and is an important witness to
exactly what happened that day. I wonder whether we'll ever be able to
get Balwant's truth out.

Dear Aziz Burney Saheb,
I must thank you for seeking my comment on the photograph of inspector
Sharma who was in an encounter with alleged terrorists. I had the
opportunity of treating several cases of stab and bullet wounds in
J.J.Govt. Hospital where (I) was honorary surgeon and professor of
surgery for 25 years. On careful study of the photograph it is
shocking to see the inspector Sharma is walking with the help of two
of his colleagues while no ambulance is in sight, which in major
operation (encounter) of this type one should be prepared for all
eventualities. Usually a person's life can be saved if the bullet
doesn't pierce the brain, heart or major vessels like aorta and
venecava (main arteries and veins arising from and draining into
heart) in which case the person will collapse and will not be able to
walk.
Barring these injuries the life of a patient can be saved by timely
surgical intervention.
It appears that the people assisting in carrying the injured inspector
do not give the impression of being equipped with disaster management
which is essential in crisis of this nature where anticipation and
quick and timely action could have saved the life of the valiant
inspector. I would be interested to know the post mortem finding of
inspector Sharma.

Prof.Dr. A.R.Undre
M.S. (BOM), F.R.C.S. (ENG), F.I.C.S. (USA)
Hon. Surgeon, Jaslok Hospital, Lilavati Hospital

(Letter to burneyazizburney at hotmail.com)
09811283583