[Reader-list] FW: FOURTH ESTATE CRITIQUE Fwd: Some QuestionsAboutThe Delhi Encounter

Aarti Sethi aarti.sethi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 22:51:20 IST 2008

Dear Radhika,

There is an old African saying which goes "It takes a village to raise a
child." Children are not brought up by their parents. Children are brought
up by and in the world. I would go so far as to say that whenever society
has made the mistake of assuming that a heterosexual monogamous family unit
(i.e one mother and one father) is sufficient to raise a child, disaster has
inevitably ensued. But that is a larger discussion.

I am in no way saying that parents are not significant influences. Of course
they are, and especially for the first few years, because of the extreme
vulnerability of the human infant, parents are the most important and
significant influences. But that changes, as it should, and every generation
does and must forge its values for itself. It is wrong to hold children
hostage to the values of their parents, and equally wrong to hold parents
accountable for the paths their children choose. There is much love and much
pain in all this, but the unfairest question to a parent is "Is this how you
brought your child up?", because the parent can only say "no". Because they
didn't bring them up you see...

So I'm afraid I cannot agree with you on this at all. And least of all on
your psuedo-aryurvedic food fascism.

best
Aarti