[Reader-list] Jamia University's right to provide Legal aid:

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 18:19:34 IST 2008

apologies if someone else has already addressed this factor. i sent this
message to a member offlist but then felt that it might be useful for
others to consider the point too, for whatever it is worth.

i should mention that i have enormous regard for prof. hasan.

apologies for writing offlist, which i am doing in order not to get
drawn into a protracted debate.

i am not comfortable with the idea of the university qua university
providing aid to the arrested students. this may set a precedent which
students will cite to ask for their university's aid in other cases of
legal difficulty, and not only in jamia. judging the merits of these
claims will be difficult and, more likely than not, decisions will be
controversial.

i think it would have been better if students, teachers, and other staff
- not only in jamia but also in other institutions - were to set up an
aid fund for the arrested students.

of course, this is my personal view. i may be wrong.