[Reader-list] Back home, I feel reborn

Aarti Sethi aarti.sethi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 19:53:50 IST 2008

Dear Kshamendra,

You are absolutely right of course. I reacted hastily, never a good thing to
do :)

On a theoretical note, I am not sure there is such an equivalance between
the articulations of power and articulations by people. By this in no way do
I mean that we should suspend our critical judgment and faculties when it
comes to private articulation. Rather I'm trying to say that there is a
great difference between an official version which is backed by guns, and
the abject terror that subjective human lives are thrown into when caught in
the cross-hairs of power. This makes me, ethically, develop a sharper
critical stance when it comes to the "police version". I am only speaking
for myself, in the spirit of discussion and clarification.

regards

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Kshmendra Kaul <kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Dear Aarti
>
> Thank you for clarifying that.
>
> I have stayed away from exchanges on the "Delhi happenings" and do not
> intend to start on them now. I was not commenting on your views on "Delhi
> happenings".
>
> What I was referring to was that if you can allow yourself with your
> analysis to be "skeptical" about the "police version of events" then it
> would be "hypocritical" not to allow me to be "skeptical" with some analysis
> about another reported event.
>
> You have clarified that was not your intention. Your graceful apology was
> not really neccessary but Thanks.
>
> Take care
>
> Kshmendra

>>> days. We thought something bad has happened to you. We were all crying."
> [...]
>>> film festival about peace and conflict held at the India Habitat Centre.
>>> The
>>> festival began on the 12 September and lasted eight days. My installation
>>> titled "Terrorism of Peace" featured my cartoons hanging from rolls
>>> of razor
>>> wire with some alcohol bottles hanging on the wire, exactly the same way
>>> as
>>> found around bunkers of troopers on the streets of Srinagar. I put some
>>> mud
>>> and stones on the shiny green marble floor of the Stein Auditorium to
>>> give
>>> the installation the real feel of Kashmir.
>>> On Saturday afternoon, the second day of the festival, I drew a cartoon
>>> in
>>> my hotel room for my Sunday Slice column. I took a picture of it with my
>>> digital camera and headed to a cybercafé about 150 meters from the
>>> habitat
>>> centre to mail it to Greater Kashmir. After I mailed the cartoon I
>>> visited
>>> the Greater Kashmir website and my cartoon website. Meanwhile, I heard
>>> another browser seated on a nearby computer chatting over the phone about
>>> the serial blasts at Connaught Place and Greater Kailash I. Soon everyone
>>> in
>>> the café joined in on a discussion about terrorism and the blasts. While
>>> was watching news videos on Greater Kashmir's website, the owner of the
>>> café
>>> peered over my shoulders to glimpse what I was looking at. Soon the owner
>>> and others started to talk about me in hushed voices. "He is Kashmiri! We
>>> should check his identity!" they whispered. The owner approached me and
>>> asked me for my passport in a soft voice.  I gave him my identity card
>>> and
>>> told him that I don't have my passport with me. He took it and xeroxed
>>> it.
>>> He studied my identity card for a long time. He asked me where I was
>>> staying
>>> in Delhi and I gave him the address of the Habitat Centre. He asked me
>>> which
>>> websites I had visited. I listed them for him. I could hear the customers
>>> saying "He is looking at websites from Kashmir!" Then someone said
>>> loudly
>>> "Why should we take responsibility for this boy. He could be anything!
>>> Just
>>> call the police and let them verify who he is!" I started to panic.
>>> "I am
>>> Kashmiri," I thought "No one will listen to me."
>>> There was a PCO in the café. They called the police and told them that
>>> there
>>> is a Kashmiri in the café and that they should verify my identity. I
>>> asked
>>> the café owner to call the habitat centre to check my identity as well.
>>> refused. I pleaded with them to just call the centre, but they wouldn't.
>>> Two
>>> fat police constables and a woman inspector wearing two stars arrived
>>> within
>>> five minutes, wearing a we-have-got-the-culprit look. Her face frightened
>>> me. Her hair was jet black and short like a boy's hair cut. Her eyes were
>>> stiff like black moles on her face. She held a very fine stick in her
>>> hand.
>>> She entered the café shouting "Who is the guy? Who is the guy?"
>>> Before
>>> anyone pointed at me I raised my hand with my I card, shouting back,
>>> "Madam
>>> it is me, it is me! Here is my I card!"
>>> She didn't look at the card, but slid it into her pocket, and ordered a
>>> constable to search into my bag. They studied my camera as if it were a
>>> bomb. They told me to pack everything in the backpack.  I quickly managed
>>> eject the memory card out of my camera and slip it in my pocket, since my
>>> photographs were the only proof of my installation at the habitat centre.
>>> Before they confiscate my mobile I memorized the number of the director
>>> of
>>> the film festival. The inspector shouted at me "Salay bahar chalo!" I
>>> shook
>>> with fear. I didn't know what to do. No one would listen to me. The
>>> constables literally dragged me out of the cafe. Someone shouted "We
>>> should
>>> place him in the bus." I was shocked and cried, "Please listen to me!
>>> Please
>>> listen to me!" Almost two hundred people gathered on the road to see the
>>> "terrorist"--Me! The crowd was so big that it created a traffic jam.
>>> shouted in the air "Somebody please go to the habitat centre and tell
>>> them
>>> the artist whose installation is there has been arrested!"
>>> As they were dragging me to the police station, the inspector shouted at
>>> me
>>> "You Kashmiri bastard! Why do you people have problem with being part of
>>> India? Sala…!" At the police station, they seated me on a bench with
>>> another
>>> person they had arrested. He had dried brown blood all over his face. His
>>> eyes were sharp and red. It was obvious he was drunk. I pleaded, "Please
>>> listen to me. I am a cartoonist in Kashmir! I am not a terrorist! I am
>>> innocent!" They ignored me and listened to their wireless radios. They
>>> continued to hurl abuses at me. Another woman inspector wearing civilian
>>> clothes with a wireless radio in her hand shouted at me "You bastard, you
>>> speak such nice Hindi! Why do you have a problem with being part of
>>> India!"
>>> I replied, trying to be as transparent as possible, "Madam, I am speaking
>>> Urdu actually, which sounds like Hindi."
>>> The inspector woman who dragged me to police station began to record the
>>> evidence:
>>> 1: He was looking at the website with diagrams of guns on it.  (This was