[Reader-list] Jamia Millia should be prosecuted

iram at sarai.net iram at sarai.net
Sun Sep 28 23:40:26 IST 2008

Dear Nazo

I have understood your terms. There would be no personal emails from me -
at least. Of course it took me time to realize that you dont want any
interaction with a list member except on a public forum. My deepest
apologies! I hope my individual/ personal email didnt cause too much
distress.

The reader list is a 'public space'. Hence my request to my co- members to
send mails with 'content' and to think before clicking the send button. My
email was not 'precribing' codes for email excahnge between individuals - I
think people have to arrive at their individual codes themselves- such as
the two of us have. No emails! Anyway, a private email exchange between two
people doesnt concern others. There are different rules of engagement on a
public forum with about 1400 members. You seem to be pushing for
'regulations' on the list. Why dont you suggest some? The reader list is as
much your space as mine or the list admins. I am sure if list members see
value in them, the list admin will respond. No hard feelings Nazo (I am
tempted to make a smiley!) but I look forward to your suggestions for
'regulations'.

Now regarding the unfortunate series of events under discussion, I have a
request - it would be great if you do not refer to the 'case' as 'jamia
blasts'! There were no blasts in Jamia. There were blasts in CP, GK and
Karol Bagh. There was an encounter in Batla House and a couple of students
from Jamia University have been arrested.

Nazo, are you trying to suggest that the best possible way that Mushirul
Hasan, Vice Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia, had, to help the accused of
various blasts in the city, was to provide 'legal aid' on "behalf" of the
University? The autonomous body that emerges from the University system -
to provide legal aid to students accused of 'crimes against the state' was
one suggestion - I find it difficult to believe that the VC had no options.

Parallels to caste based aid were drawn because you gave Salman Khurshid's
exmaple and impled that Jamia University should provide legal aid becuase
the students are from middle class backgrounds. I am still as unconvinced
by that logic as I was before. I know that needy/ meritorious students are
provided scholarships. I didnt realise we could extend that to court cases
involving 'terrorist activities'. Anyway, as far as I know Manjunath
Shanmugam Trust fought the case for the the former IIM- Lucknow student.
IIM lucknow did not fight the case directly. But these are facts gleaned
from newspapers, so I could be wrong. However, I am not looking for a
precedent where a University was directly involved in providing legal aid
to students accused of 'terrorist' activities but nonetheless I would be
curious to know if this has ever happened before, in other parts of the
world if not in India.

I am sure that the decision to provide legal aid falls within the purview
of the VC office. I wonder if it was the correct decision.

With All Respect
Iram