[Reader-list] Ramjas students on protest, want action against faculty

Aarti Sethi aarti.sethi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 15:14:57 IST 2008

Dear Aditya,

I know that Jagori have been documenting resources on sexual harrasment over
several years. I can help you get in touch with them if you wish. I'm sure
youre already part of the safe campus initiative. I think the question we
were trying to think through was, how do we respond to violence outside of a
discourse that posits greater restriction and security of women as the only
option. And this is a very live question for us. For instance the hostel
rules in almost every hostel in Delhi, except JNU, are extremely restrictive
of women. So women have to get back by a certain time, have to get
permission for night outs and are allowed only a certain number every month,
cannot have any male visitors up to their rooms and so on. And all this is
done in the name of making women safer. College administrations respond with
ferocity when ever anyone challanges these rules, and dissenters are asked
to pack their bags and their LG's are called. And we must remember that what
actually underwrites all of this is also a deep discomfort with women's
sexuality and agency. So when harrasment does occur its seen as "punishment"
for wayward behaviour. Can we think about these issues without asking for
more police protection? that is my question. And it is a difficult and
worrying question to which I don't have any answers....

best
Aarti