[Reader-list] Michael Moore's Populist Politics & the American Left

Isaac souweine isouweine at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 18:28:09 IST 2008

Naeem -

I think what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I couldn't tell you if
Moore is playing dumb or if he really is just a crass, frumpy, goofball, but
either way the entire act is clearly a performance of populist leftism "for
the people". And I also grant that this maneuver is worth considering as an
aesthetic and political gesture.

As to whether it promises some deliverance from the supposed isolation of
the American left, my answer is no on two levels. The first level is that
the package just doesn't work. Left/progressive politics are about
sincerity, compassion and rationality. These are noble attitudes, but they
do not make good street theater. Turning them in that directionis a double
failure, for neither is the product viscerally entertaining, nor is it still
really connected to its parent tradition. Consider the failure of Air
America radio as exhibit number one. I listened a few times and it was
brutal stuff. Square peg and round hole. Of course Moore can be
entertaining, but I think his success is mostly a factor of his very bizarre
cult of personality. Though I can't stand him or his films, he has a certain
something and it works on screen. But the template is not generalizable.

At a more general level, I think the answer is no because we don't actually
need deliverance. Democratic registration far outpaces Republican. And
public opinion vastly favors democratic policies, including fairly liberal
ones. Moreover, the vast political middle, especially in the emerging
American West, is increasingly non-ideological. So, as we are seeing now,
continued adherence to core political values combined with a bit of
cutthroat Clintonian triangulation on wedge issues should return Democrats
to control of house, senate, the presidency and a majority of state houses.
This will be a depressingly centrist left politics of course, but this is
national electoral politics we are talking about after all.  If the
political cards are played well, the right thought machine could fulminate
its way back to irrelevance, especially as it becomes harder and harder to
hold the evangelicals in the coalition (look at the cost incurred by McCain
for using Palin to do the this job).

But even with all of this going on, I think people fighting the good fights
get fazed by all the name calling and hand waving etc. and feel a bit
inadequate - like "when do we get to talk some shit?" So I guess my moral is
- liberals aren't so good at talking shit. But they're definitely better at
governing, and even in the messed up world of American politics, they should
have enough sauce to get elected.

Best,
Isaac

PS - As a final footnote, it seems to me that it might be interesting to
compare the political theater of Moore with the fringe left performances art
of a group like Billionaires for Bush. The latter group of course has no
real national profile, but it seems to me that their  knowing, farcical take
on political speech is at once politically authentic and aesthetically
appealing. Not sure my point here exactly but the comparison just jumped out
at me for some reason. . .