[Reader-list] a thought

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Tue Sep 30 18:39:55 IST 2008

Monica et al.,

I wonder if some of the issues and difficulties over the reader list
might be addressed by introducing (and strictly and universally
enforcing) just one simple, unambiguous instrumental rule that we could
all agree on:

each member of the reader list is allowed no more than one post per day
/ 24-hour period.

An exception could be made solely for announcements, and that too of an
urgent or time-bound nature.  If the member violates this rule of
conduct and makes, say, two or three posts in a single day, then they
are first issued a warning.  The second or third time they do it, let's
say, they are off the list.  Simple as that.

I think this could, at the very least, force us all to exercise a
certain restraint before we hit the send button, choosing and focus our
energies on making the postings we consider more substantial or
important, combining thoughts together in a single mail.  Since the
dominance of certain issues on the list is largely an effect of
overposting by a small handful of individuals, I think this might also
help to even out the range of issues that are discussed on this list.

(To Radhakrishnan-- I don't think we can artificially enforce diversity
on this list, but we can give it more room to breathe.)

On a very basic level it encourages respect for other peoples' inboxes.
People can write their second message, save it and cue it up on their
mail programs, then send it after a day (after perhaps reading it over a
second time to see if it's really necessary).

As far as I can think-- I don't think anything will be lost by this rule?

I realise that this procedural rule can be circumvented through the use
of multiple aliases and heteronyms, and god knows the list is no
stranger to that, but even in that case I think it will help restraint,
and prevent cases where, for instance, we get 10 mindless rants by the
same person over the course of a day, or a situation where an individual
replies to every single mail on the list, regardless of whether they
have anything interesting to add or not.

I also realise that, with this mail, I have violated the rule myself!
But were we to introduce and agree on this, I would certainly abide by it.

Vivek