[Reader-list] a thought

Nazneen Anand Shamsi nazoshmasi at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 30 22:35:25 IST 2008

Dear Aarti,

Could I suggest that what appears to you as an 'institutional obsession'/
'irritating'/ 'intellectually lazy'  argument may in fact be an 'appeal to
authority'. In a virtual world where this list floats, with nameless places
and place less names, the only clear and distinct sign which appears to me
was a sarai.net address. This is a sarai.reader list and I think it is
common sense to address my raves and rants concerning the list to the most
visible  and perhaps the most stable of all landmarks. I agree with you
completely that sarai's institutional stake is limited to providing a
context. And I laud this, 'gesture' but ultimately when push comes to shove,
as in Radhikarajen's instance, it was left only to the discretion of list
admin to take a call. I do not at all contest that those who work at sarai
should judge how other members on this list should utter or articulate, they
have not right to but at the same time I don't see any reason why I should
not direct my rants for punitive action to a sarai.net address. It makes
more sense to one to write to the non-interventionist Sponsor of this list
than to address them to a fsrnkashmir at gmail.com or
aashu.gupta20 at gmail.comnot because by directing to these mail address
I would be diluting the issue
but because I guess by deliberately dragging sarai's name I hoped to provoke
perhaps a lot more people, which include those who subscribed to reader list
before they joined sarai, continued their subscription while they were at
sarai and still subscribes when they are not part of sarai. One may consider
it as a deliberate strategy for poking and unruffling feathers for a
discussion/reaction on an issue of relevance. I don't see why any concerned
person should not do so as well. I support mass mailing sarai.net adders to
take some action regarding exchanges on reader list. Of course, what remains
unsaid is that, in such a case one would eventually mass mail reader list
too. Which was the intended objective.  I have always believe that one
should make a lot of noise if one is uncomfortable with the way in which
things are being done. I consider this strategy far more engaging and an
exercise in thinking together than say, for instance, without sounding rude
to you, writing intellectually engaging stuff like- 'Enough. Just. Shut. Up.
Be. Quiet. Do Not Speak. You embarrass and insult yourself.' But of course
this was written with respect to a specific context but still, the above
remark pertains very much to a broad discussion concerning how we engage on
the reader list.

Warm regards

Nazo