[Reader-list] secularly secular

Venugopalan K M kmvenuannur at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 17:56:37 IST 2009

Dear Rajen,
I wish I could overcome the 'prejudices' you mentiomned.
 I would be the happiest person , if I could .
Our wishes apart, I would rather welcome your position that neither me
nor you have the authority of sitting in judgement and further that we
should all be prepared to accept a concept such as the Rule of Law.
Your views on terrorism though accepatable otherwise, I can't agree to
your implicit suggestion  that those serve terrorism are easily
identifiable with any particular style of definition of national
interest. For example, no doubt you are the one to condemn the recent
unlawful activities of Sri Ram Sene. At the same time, you seem to
subscribe to a view of love very similar to that of these Senes. It is
utterly absurd to state that love is one thing in India and another in
Pakistan and yet another in the West. According to your view, love
mainly defined by  carnality (West) is inferior  and that defined by
divinity (Indian) is superior. If I am an atheist, and hence, if I
don't want to associate my feelings of love with divinity, you can
instantly dubb me as an anti-national. That case, I deserve either
reform or punishment ! One of the RSS functionaries in Dakshina
Karnataka district  has  reportedly gone on  record that women and
girls should be cured of their tendency to imitate Western values and
hence to become  'immoral', by publicly humiliating them with beating!
Going by several newspaper reports, Hindu girls (students) talking
with and befriending boys especially of Muslim and Christian
communities is much likely to invite such instant punishments by the
moral brigade
 ( goons) watching  and their cultural patrons!
What is terrorism and what is patriotism, after all?
As the former is not just bombblasts and shhot outs perpetrated by
unidentified criminals , the latter is also not just rhetoric and
jingoism either.
Regards,
Venu.

--