[Reader-list] What after MNIC? The MIND, the final frontier.

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Thu Apr 9 19:16:42 IST 2009

Dear Kshemendra,

You talk of Sunita Narain being ill-informed and having a superficial
intellect, and then this--which suggests, to me, how easy it is to pull
a fast one on you!

Do you believe this project, in the way it's being promoted in this
article, has any concrete scientific basis at all?  How close do you
think our brave scientists are to developing a mind-reading technology?
And how exactly would they go about telling a non-terrorist brain from a
terrorist one?

Perhaps you think that in a couple of years time, Indian scientists will
be able to plug a couple of electrodes into a suspected terrorist and
have the story of his life play for them on a screen, like a hollywood
movie?

Go and investigate what and how much qualified neuroscientists today
actually understand about the brain and get back to me on this one.

And I do hope, when they've cracked it, that they don't look into your
brain and find-- despite your protests-- that you have a little
terrorist hiding inside.

Thanks
vivek