[Reader-list] What after MNIC? The MIND, the final frontier.

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 11 22:04:52 IST 2009

Dear Kshmendra

Neither your ability to express in English is atrociously inadequate nor
my understanding of the language is extremely poor. There is no need for
you to see reason in my posts, because there seems to be nothing
reasonable in what you want to interpret.

However, I thank you for the pain that you seem have taken to write a
seemingly logical mail but I am sorry to say that your post appears just
that, 'seemingly logical'.
In my earlier exchanges with you I used to get quite worked up by your
generous use of adjectives but now it seems to me, that it is not for no
reason that you rely on adjectives so much. Since you have, on many
occasions made absolutely clear to the members of this list, about your
disapproval for theory, your loathe for detailed discussions, and your
impatience for views which dwell on core conceptual formulations, I
think one can safely conclude that for you, slandering a person or
relying heavily on fallacies like ad hominem are the only rhetorical
crutches you have. It is painful, Khsmendra, to see you  first utter a
stupid thing and then defend it in this manner.

But  having said that, since you have, I respect your effort, so please
allow me to answer the points you have raised.

1.a. There are quite a number of posting on this List, by you, on the
MNIC issue.

-That's true.

1.b. These posting of yours regarding MNIC have predominantly
been reproductions of News Items that directly or indirectly refer to
the MNIC. Occasionally they have been accompanied by your own comments.
There have been other postings by you regarding MNIC which have
contained only your comments.

-That's correct. This is in addition to four full length papers, which i
have posted on the list before i began posting news articles and other
materials.

1.c When I was drawing your attention to " ..... your own postings on
this List regarding MNIC." I was referring to the complete contents of
your postings including the reproduced News Items plus your own comments
and NOT your own comments alone. Isn't that the fairer understanding of
the term "your postings"?

- I would not like to think so. Because in all those instances when I
was forwarding News Items or papers I was in a way doing the job of a
researcher. Which is to re-search and collect data. I did not filter out
those messages where I had a fundamental disagreement with either the
content or the formulation or theoretical assumptions of those messages.
So they were not my posts but my forwards and I did not agree to the
content or the context of the structure of the argument of the some of
the mails yet I forwarded them.

1.d Similarly, when I said that "One of the premises on which the
support for MNIC is based is that it will help weed out terrorists." and
made reference to " ..... your own postings on this List regarding
MNIC.", I was again referring to the complete contents of your postings
including the reproduced News Items plus your own comments and NOT your
own comments alone. Isn't that the fairer understanding of the term
"your postings"?

- No that is not a fairer understanding of the term 'your posting'.

1e, 1f, 2a, 2b,2c

- Does not apply because of fundamental error of assumption in 1.c and 1d

2.d. In the link of your posting that I had provided, you have commented
along the following lines:

- issue of infiltration and security on the Indian Border.

That's true. I have.

- political class of our country hell bent ....create a particular
perception of fear and security and dole National Identity Card as the
sole solution

That's correct.

- don't want to go in for a blame-the-politician- argument for our
social ills, because certainly terrorist attacks happen

That's correct.

- insofar as the issue of Multiple Purpose National Identity is
concerned, the consensus building exercise for the issuance of the card
seems to tread multiple lines of argument

That is also right.

- .... Kargil War occurs-for which intrusion is blamed-fencing of border
areas is peddled as a solution ......distribution of identity cards is
forwarded as a second option ..... Premise seems to be that MINC will
alleviate intrusion of all illegal foreigners.

That is right too.

- 'Terror' Strikes- Islamic 'terrorists' blamed-since one cannot
differentiate between a Pakistani Muslim from a Bangladeshi Muslim from
an Indian Muslim from an Indian Hindu, identification of all people is
peddled as a solution- (Separating wheat from the chaff argument)
Premise seems to be that 'Good' Muslims would be separated from 'Bad'
Muslims.

That is also right but isn't it clear that there is one core concept
here is citizenship. MNIC is peddled as a token to weed out citizens
from non citizens. And in the context of 'Islamic Terror' I was
referring to the  proposed use of MNIC to weed out an Indian Muslim, who
is also a law abiding, tax paying citizen in other words a 'good muslim'
versus a 'bad muslim' who wants to harm the idea of India by cloaking
himself in Indian identity or citizenship to evade detection. The issue
here was same to weed out citizens from non citizens. More ever, 'good
muslim' 'bad muslim' was deliberately used as a reference point to the
work of Mahmud Mamdani by the same name. Wherein he dwells at length
about the ways in which social constructs like 'good muslim' or 'bad
muslim' came into being and how these constructs are intricately woven
into the discourse of modern nation states and how they prefigure in
policies and governmental attitudes, especially when it comes to
according religious minorities like muslims the status of citizens. The
word 'terrorists' which you have so underlined was used a background to
suggest that this is one the ways by which the idea of a national
identity card is being proposed. The MNIC is not being proposed to 'weed
out terrorists' but it is assumed that 'Pakistani Muslims or Bangladeshi
Muslims' are sometimes involved in 'terrorist attacks' hence MNIC could
act as a filter to weed out Pakistani or Bangladeshi nationals or citizens.

If you want to have more discussions on this then I will be more than
happy to respond to your mails. At the same time, I expect with all
sincerity some amount reasonableness in discourse.

With warm regards

Taha