[Reader-list] Fw: What after MNIC? The MIND, the final frontier.

subhrodip sengupta sub_sengupta at yahoo.co.in
Sun Apr 12 00:32:01 IST 2009

Isn't there something known as right to privacy. A Wiki analysis told me that marital status, health and residence property and more private information will be made available through a centralised database. Werent many of us dead against strip searching x-ray and other devices, (well one cant escape it lol) but police doing it before your eyes and gazing you,(if not now it'll be very soon at least with non-nationals I guess) day in and day out in the name of national security, well you can not roam about in the streets pick up people in name of  'Verification', the Question I'd put 'Security for Whom?' & who are the specific classes/creeds of people arguing for it and what are their vested interests beyond security per-se? Is India's corruption scenario competent to handle such issues. To be more elaborate I'd remember you for full 4 months the NIC's top priority cyber area -- the PMO's mail(protected by same technology) was infected (& probably
 hacked), under such circumstances, will it be of any more use than an experiment? At such a huge cost. Election heat is on, and parties have suddenly embarked on 'Tuff decisions', but tuffness means not ruthlessness, I guess to me it's being strong and positive & I do not find a reason to inflict fear on citizens and vulnerable sections of society, the question I'll re-assert this 'feel-good' 'hi-tech'security(non-resident id is a big loop-hole, with police chowkies able to be bribed) is for the common man or whom?
Well, recent history brings to my mind Hon CM delhi,Sheila Dixits govt opposing carry id cards scheme? One presumably ensures that distribution will be more systematic. Moreover data must be taken only where it's relevant else people will have to suffer stiff positions & embarrasment at places of work etc. eg if id schemes reflect marks years etc to test intelligence there's a problem. Two things must be adhered to all 3 posts must contain 1 woman, When infoirmation is sought it's purpose must be inspected by a human rights, an intelligence and some medico, all of a very high stature interms of post and experience, the party & his or her legal counsell , witness remittal of any information trough a distinct trans id. madatory. Wiki calls it mission creep, while judicial review is excluded. Heavy Army is always used to maintain a regime but are we heading to strong dictatorship-like pattern(as Rss ex-chief wanted) either by idealogues or religious
 people, modus-operandi in a democracy is create an enemy?
Do we deserve it? Clearly the poor understanding of issues at intellectual level, fear of rejection & election manifesto have created even a dead-line (when Rahul accused opposition of sitting in ac rooms and blaming, did he get a feel of what various sections of masses want(one should not simply add up numbers as a 60-40 decision, clearly across cultural and caste dimension they dont add up, & politicians have been playing with this fire for their own benefits & it's near. Id card system is good, it should get you all rights without multi-registration. Benifits are speed,compactness, & reduced clerical errors, & entry into technical era, as a security tool, Costs are high.
What do India's bloggers who were advised not to disclose very personal data on net(& yet they do) have to say about this. Are they that bold? Thanks for colourful discussion anyway, it's very important as it regards a private right!