[Reader-list] Azad's brother in BJP justifies Babri Masjid demolition

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 02:26:38 IST 2009

Azad's brother in BJP justifies Babri Masjid demolition*The Times of India*

Link -
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Azads-brother-in-BJP-justifies-Babri-Masjid-demolition/articleshow/4392562.cms

JAMMU: Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad's younger brother Ghulam Ali Azad,
who recently joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), on Sunday
justified the 1992 demolition of the Babri
Masjid<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Azads-brother-in-BJP-justifies-Babri-Masjid-demolition/articleshow/4392562.cms#>,
saying no mosque ever existed in Ayodhya.

Ali Azad lambasted the Congress for accusing BJP senior leader LK Advani of
being involved in the demolition of the 16th century mosque.

"There never was a mosque, nor it exists today nor it will ever," Ali Azad
told reporters.

The mosque was constructed by first Mughal emperor Babur in Ayodhya in the
16th century. On Dec 6, 1992, it was destroyed by
Hindu<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Azads-brother-in-BJP-justifies-Babri-Masjid-demolition/articleshow/4392562.cms#>extremists
who believe that Babur destroyed an existing temple at the site,
built to commemorate the birthplace of Rama.

The demolition triggered widespread communal unrest in the entire country.

Babur, Ali Azad said, was an "invader. We cannot glorify him as a leader of
Muslims in any sense of the word."

The brother of the former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister said Congress
leaders were working against one another.

He said he had joined the BJP because it was a party of principles and an
ideology rooted in keeping the nation together.

Hours after his younger brother's outburst, Ghulam Nabi Azad said that he
had nothing to do with what Ali Azad had said.

"I disown him (Ali Azad). I have no dealing with him," Azad told a local TV
channel.