[Reader-list] The True Face of Ulemas and Maolvis

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Mon Apr 13 23:03:24 IST 2009

Javed and Kshemendra,

Both of you have reacted to this note in a way that I didn't expect--but
I guess that's what makes this list compelling.

I personally didn't need answers to all those questions to begin
enjoying-- and even believing-- the stories posted here.

Moreover, I don't see them as absolute proof of anything, let alone the
"despotism of Islam" or of all "Muslim mullahs".  I don't think these
stories were narrated to malign Islam.  To start with, they simply
reflect the typical behaviour of powerful and influential people
everywhere.  Beyond this, they seem to suggest that many religious
leaders are more interested in secular power than religious observance,
and that the little man--reflected in this case by the narrator's older
relative--tends to be the one who is truly pious, sometimes naively so,
even to a fault, and practises what he preaches.  Sajid Naqwi in the
second story makes regular use of prostitutes not only because he is
horny but also because he knows he is above the law.

In the past decades there have been similar tales of power hungry
evangelist Christian preachers (in America) caught, similarly, with
their pants down.  We know, informally, that such behaviour can
certainly be found among the Hindutva brigade-- for whom piety is often
the lowest priority-- I wouldn't mind any first hand stories, if anyone
has them and is bold enough.

Whether narrated on the reader list or made even richer with detailed
rhythmic salvos of expletives, just outside the shrine, such tales make
us doubt the words and practice of those who would rule and regulate our
lives.  In my book, the encouragement of doubt is a good thing.

Of course, I'd love to know more about the context for this posting;
however, given the evidently sensitive nature of the subject, that's a
lot to ask.

At any rate, even as stories, they remind me of the questing, fearless,
sometimes naughty  and sometimes melancholy spirit of Manto, who finds a
mention here.

Vivek