[Reader-list] (no subject)

subhrodip sengupta sub_sengupta at yahoo.co.in
Sat Apr 18 00:17:05 IST 2009

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Delhi-girl-dies-in-coma-after-school-punishment/videoshow/4413951.cms

While in an anti-ragging campaign at an engineering college while I was discussing the responsibility and criminal accountability of head of institution, I accidentally enraged a few members of faculty and was charged of being impractical. How can the head controll such things, in 3 in night? Now looking back three concerns are raised:
1.Punitive action vs Corporal punishment rights to exclude or reform, reason and extent. Courts should be clear on it.
2. Training for teachers human beings like us, to excersice corrective measure and class controll.
3. YEs for Head of Institution, all this 'poor chap' is supposed is to build a culture. Was excessive beating prevalent. In ragging cases, why were'nt staff adequately warned, if it is a ragging case then it was a targeted crime, at a known point in time, & building general stress free culture, ensuring confidence through say friendliness & trying to explain what constitutes a wrong, for eg what constitutes ragging, what is seduction, what is harrassment, what exactly and to distingush it from ordinary gestures, & what for example is Corporal Punishment?
What is or can be a child guilty of and how much should he be punished---- juvenile justice.
But schools, I guess do not breed juveniles, so hoe corrective measures can be taken. I repeat in most cases, cases have been known to exist but authorities for some reason of leaniency, or mis-reading intentions allowed it. One seat, all the power, to ask a parent to withdraw, to promote, all the glamour, shouldnt it be sensitive. In criminology it's called ---- criminal negligence. If he/she is too busy, someone should be entrusted. I think ot os not a case of a one-moment gone wrong! Even if it is, it has behind a culture off the razor edge!
Authorities should be taken in for questioning. Thats how culture is built if the need be by force. Social engineering, or else would they be more pleased with groups entering by force and staging dramas before students, Surrender, i suggest! Admit! In the school I studied most of the excesses were by teachers who used excess not against juveniles but ordinary students. These grow up into gen next sadists and build juveniles who go unnoticed.
I repeat, Surrender( I know as a profession there is bound to be resistance and empathy, but when integrity is questioned, methods must be reviewed, which again doesnt mean bowing down, demeaned or loosing stature or self esteem, it means, justifying(the modus-opreandi). While interrogation deeper roots like flimsy politics or interests(business) etc. will be revealed so it's a challege for the investigator also.

      Check out the all-new Messenger 9.0! Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/