[Reader-list] Shameful Torture of 23 Muslims Prisoners on March 26-27 In Sabarmati Jail, Ahamedabad: A Report by Human Rights Activists

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 22:58:48 IST 2009

Dear Anupam,  dear all,

it is not only Hindutva, which is dangerous for the growth of
democracy, but all the right wing politics, not only the right wing,
but any kind of authoritarian politics, not only authoritarian
politics but anything that under values the basic human rights, which
includes the core existential drives of life. Humanity has suffered
terribly as and when sensibilities of 'the other' were compelled to
experience oppression of this kind or that kind.

 we are suspicious of the other's activities, and we fear that our
beings will be wiped out, if we dont take adequate measures in time.
This has its own history.

The people at the helm of affairs have always encouraged some paranoia
in the minds of the masses for the preparation of  a just war. It goes
without saying that most of wars in the past and the present were
causeless, or trivial at the most.

I still give them ( the ancient/medieval)  some marks for their
reasons for waging wars on other territories, but in the present, when
we have democracies, there is hardly any reason for a war.  People in
America never voted for a war in Iraq, or Vietnam  etc. but the the
system that breeds the possibility  of  war (s) in future are very
much there.  So the Nation States that emerge while enabling their
people to celebrate the concept of democracy are suspect.  Either
there is something wrong with the procedures of implementing results
of voting by masses, or the very concept of Nation State is obsolete,
but refuses to give in to newer form of freedom of life.

This i am saying, because, in essence, democracy is all about people,
and if people dont understand the real purpose of democracy then there
is a paradox.

i guess, we can not extract a true meaning from the word ' democracy'
if we dont feel why the concept emerged as a departure from the system
that Kings or Monarchies or even Military dictators, or communist
czars used to govern the people through a set of Laws.

the present system of domocracy is again pushing forwards, the rule of
the feudal lord, the criminal in disguise, or the inheritor of dynasty

so where are those systems of democracy which were truly supposed to
bring a representative politics for a just governance.  What happens
to our freedom of expression once our elected government comes to
power,

why they bring the same old reasons to install the same old
traditional censorships which was the norm in the past, but has no
justification  for any continuity...

having said all this, one has still reason to celebrate the present
system of democracy, as lesser evil in comparison to earlier systems
of foreign rule or Dictatorship.

with love and regards
is

http://indersalim.livejournal.com