[Reader-list] Why do Schools and Colleges in India Kill?

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 09:34:43 IST 2009

@ Tara prakash jee

Dear Sir

Issues are never looked at from saffron glasses or green glasses, nor should
be they looked at from such glasses. They should be looked at only from
human glasses or the issue of humanity. The problem is not that Muslims are
killing Hindus or Hindus are killing Muslims, the problem is that one human
being is killing the other in the name of protecting Hinduism/Islam or
taking revenge for something.

@ All

The problem of violence during ragging is actually symptomatic of the larger
malaise deeply afflicting our society. Our society is one where people have
to harden themselves against feelings. And it's not just in personal life,
but in public life as well.

Why does a rape accused, after being exonerated from court for lack of
evidence, get publicly beaten to death just outside the court?

Why do accused thieves get beaten to death in villages of Bihar/UP/somewhere
else?

Why did people in the Jessica Lall murder case, inspite of having seen the
murder themselves, not put themselves as witnesses? And why did those who
did turn up as witnesses, turn hostile?

Why did Zaheera Sheikh keep on making flips and flops about her position in
the Best Bakery case, so much so that SC had to order her to jail for doing
so again and again?

Why is the word 'katua' so freely used in our vocabulary (and I don't mean
the Sarai list vocabulary, and please pardon my usage of the word), in my
own city Bhopal among my friends, among people around me, and even among
policemen? And now I have heard it in IIT as well, though rarely does the
talk concentrate on Muslims. And now we have Varun Gandhi as well using the
same word.

Why is it that we always ask for 'examples to be made' of people having
committed rape/ragging crimes, or for that even matter even terrorist
crimes? Doesn't that amount to violence or supporting it as well?

While I agree with Shivam's assertion that institutions are not exactly
there, I would also state that this has got to do with the fact that it's
institutions at the local level which have been wiped out by the British
rule (and also not built correspondingly by the Indian govt post
independence), combined with the feudal caste based system which has ensured
that thick-skinned people and power are the best requirements in today's
society.

Combined with that, a lack of sensitivity among citizens and we have a sure
recipe for disaster. Seniors actually enjoy ragging juniors, which means
having someone dance in underwears in front of a girls' hostel is a great
thing to do in their belief. And since many did the same, in their senior
years they force their juniors to do the same as well.

Therefore, let's just state that the only concern in our society is to gain
power and power can't be gained by sensitive measures, so the lack of
insensitivity has to be ingrained among citizens, which has led to this
disaster. Institutions not being built or not working properly is also the
result of the same. And the same ensures people don't turn witnesses but ask
for stronger punishments!

Regards

Rakesh