[Reader-list] Shameful Torture of 23 Muslims Prisoners on March 26-27 In Sabarmati Jail, Ahamedabad: A Report by Human Rights Activists

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 18:14:44 IST 2009

Dear Kshamendra

While you have stated that BJP should have proven their rule as best to
state that Hindutva based governance is good (as they claim), my contention
is that Hindutva is an ideology and BJP distances it from development. The
BJP has never claimed Hindutva to be synonymous with development, it instead
believes that Hindutva is the cultural essence of India, which has to be
maintained and not lost due to development (through moral policing) and due
to minority appeasement.

So I don't feel that for the BJP, there is any such thing that Hindutva is
development. Hence, I stated that Hindutva means an ideology which is
committed to persecution of minorities. And trying to bridge divide does not
mean one doesn't call spade a spade. It means we try to discuss and then
find out where our differences lie, and then try to resolve them. Not avoid
them, or postpone them.

That is why I said it would be good if you can put up your definition of
Hindutva. At least we can see where we are right and where we are wrong. If
necessary, let us have a personal discussion(and not on this forum).

Regards

Rakesh