[Reader-list] Myth Called the 'Indian Muslim'

Venugopalan K M kmvenuannur at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 09:30:42 IST 2009

Dear Taha,

Whether we accept or not this kind of whimsical generalizations  about
Indian Muslim, I am afraid one cannot afford to miss the underlying
subtext of "Islam as the Other" not only in India,but all over the
globe. No doubt we can challenge it; but one will rather do so with
concerns about its implication in the  social lives of Muslims
everywhere. For example, even a Muslim name could become problematic
in a real life situation in many parts of the world notwithstanding
the fact that you may be an agnostic or Marxist!
We are aware of the fact that even a person like Eshan Jaffry(pardon
the spelling) with the status of a prominent  ex parliamentarian
Congress leader was not able to escape the horrendous consequences of
that.
So, Muslims are doubly burdened with defending the identity on the one
hand, as well as challenging it on the other. The case of Taslima is
an extreme one in point. Eventhough she is not a Muslim by conviction,
she represents the plight of all female believers in a Muslim
theocracy where a particular definition of Islam became the basis for
conceding or denying citizenship.
Fatima Mernissi, in her Women and Islam has defined Muslim in a
narrower (or broader?)sense that would include all the subjects of a
theocratic state and its personal laws, and independent of one's
personal convictions vis a vis the faith.
In short, I would say that there indeed exists a concept of 'Muslim
voter' in India,  notwithstanding that individual voters might
challenge this blanket concept in a particular context and would
endorse the same in another context. In my view, there is nothing
reprehensible in acting in this manner, when we take into
considerations the imperatives of grave challenges to the very
existence of divergent faiths in India which is actually rooted in the
ideology of Brahmanical Hindutwa. This is the most deplorable form of
cultural nationalism, which likes to ground the very idea of
citizenship in it. Even the Indian constitution is anathema to this
band of nationalists,who fortunately did not enjoy the mandate of more
than a fifth of all Indian voters even in their best days! In the 2004
elections they seemed dangerously close to a second tenure of office
thanks to the oprtunist realpolitiking by the regional parties and to
the support of the upper caste dominated media. But the common people
proved that they had not only the eyes and ears to see through all,
but they also had the wisdom to give a fitting response
Regards,
Venu.

http://venukm.blogspot.com/