[Reader-list] Brahminical dominence ?

Venugopalan K M kmvenuannur at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 17:50:48 IST 2009

Dear Rajen,

By adopting such a position on Brahmanical and Brahmanism, one will stand to
lose the very usefulness of this important concept. As you were stating it
has less to do with propagating hate than understanding the exceptionally
institutionalized and ritualized  hate in the social and cultural life of
India.
This is sure to  raise lot of other questions: Why, for example  after the
happening of the Khairlanji in September 2006 {almost the entire people of a
village participate in the act of parading naked,raping,(women),killing and
mutilating the bodies of the 4 victims who were members of a dalit family
(converted to Budhism) }, the entire media kept silence for about one month?
So , an understanding of  Brahmanism together with  Brahmanical ways of
thinking,  not only does not talk of  Brahmans as persons but more as a
collective and  typically  negative attitude. It is characterized by
defending privileges with respect to the ascending order of caste and
denying equality; significantly women of all castes are automatically
considered inferior to their male counterparts(this is also seen in every
other religion; but practices of cruelty to widows ,women not giving birth
to to male offsprings, not able to consummate marriage etc,etc are viewed
with special contempt in the brahmanical Hinduism).The extremely negative
attitude to change or reform is a direct result of a desire to protect the
system of privileges to the exclusion of others. These are generally what
are considered as traits associated with Brahmanism.Unfortunately, majority
of victims of this system of heirarchy are ideologically co-opted to it;
they are not expected to doubt the system which is has been taught to them
as divinely ordained.They are expected to just obey  without grumbles and
get better off in the future birth.(*Chathrvarnam maya srushtam guna karma
vibhagasa*- The system has been created by me according to your past
*karma*and your qualities and just do your caste-ordained duties-this
is the
message of Bhagvan in Gita (Ch IX verse 32 ?..I don't remember it correctly)
I'm not suggesting that every person believing in the Hindu scriptures and
the Gita would support mass murders and ritualistic killings of dalits as
happened in khairlanji..not that the media always will attempt to cover up
such incidents.To be certain, in the media controlled by the upper caste
Hindus,there is always a tendency to underplay the unpleasant factors
related with caste. Gandhi was a great admirer and interpretor of Gita and
yet he was assassinated by Godse, who was a fanatic adherent of
Brahmanism.But even Gandhi believed in a Ramarajya of his own notion..so are
the less enlightened 'Hindu' masses  to a greater or lesser degree in
denying equality to women and lower castes, the very victims of
discriminations included.Then, not to speak of the tendency to resist
reservations and to monopolize knowledge and power by a minority. Certainly,
the print media dominated by the upper caste plays a significant role  in
perpetuating the bias against the under privileged.The internet and the
electronic media at a more globalized level, are able to challenge this
privilege of the upper caste elites in  significant ways.
Regards,
Venu.

Regards,
Venu.