[Reader-list] The 'upper caste dominated' Media

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 16:26:34 IST 2009

Dear Venugopalan

May I first of all express my admiration for the graciousness with which you introspect and then convey it.  I wish, one saw more of that on this List. I wish I had that quality.

What it was that you exactly meant, is quite clear now.

I wonder if there is some sort of a Media Watch organisation that totes up the airtime and printspace given to each political party, especially during elections. That would be interesting data quantitatively. But still it would not tell us much (qualitatively) about the biases.

I would still like to put on the plate a menu that suggests that the "Brahmanical and upper caste dominated" composition of the Indian Media (apart from your conviction that it has a bias favouring Hindutva) should also be seen as being partial to the 'Brahmanical and Upper Caste' in the Economic Segmentation of India. That automatically gets translated to a large extent into the socio-religious aspect.

Our Media is somewhat suspect about the extent of Advertorialising it indulges in. The making sure that there is no antagonising of "where the big bucks come from".

Thank you once again.

Kshmendra