[Reader-list] Complaint against Mid-Day coverage of TISS rape case

Subuhi Jiwani subuhimjiwani at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 17:05:56 IST 2009

Dear Sarai List,

Apologies for so many emails about the same topic. I forgot to include the Mid-Day article in my last email.

Here it is.

Subuhi

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2009/apr/230409-Mumbai-News-TISS-student-rape-case-Vinamra-Soni-blog-nicest-student-blogger.htm

TISS rape accused was the 'nicest guy' in school: Blog
By: A correspondent Date:  2009-04-23

Mumbai:
They may have been accused for raping the
TISS student, but friends of Vinamra Soni (21) and Jaskaran Singh
Bhullar's (20) have not given up on them. A friend of the two has
floated a blog appealing netizens to give Soni and Bhullar a second
chance.

The blog titled 'They din't do it' (sic) created by
their schoolmate Tarush Agarwal, who studied with the duo in Loyola
School, Jamshedpur, requests the public to hear their side of the story
before passing a judgment.

In his post, Tarush writes: "I
will continue to write to defend my best friends, for I firmly believe
they could not  commit this heinous crime. I would like to mention,
Jask, apart from being the bearer of the friendliest, nicest, and
cutest guy trophy is also a brother of three adorable sisters and he
respects women."

In an e-mail response to MiD DAY, Agarwal who
is currently in USA, said, "Through this blog, I want people to know
that there could be a different side to the story. I want them to know
that Jaskaran and Vinamra are nice boys, who do regular guy-like
things, but at the same time have a strong influence of Indian
culture."

Tarush also mentions in the post that Soni and
Bhullar were in a train when they heard of the case being filed and
were consequently asked by their parents to get off the train, wait for
them and then surrender to the police.