[Reader-list] Delay breeds corruption, EPIC cards and corruption, role of election commission in breeding corruption.

Rajen Uppinangadi rajen882uppinangadi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 17:15:49 IST 2009

Dear all,
      today we had the duty and right of casting our votes to the candidates
of our choice to the parliament. On an average, Bangalore and its
surrounding areas have seen average voting of about 56 percent, and this
day, till around 11.30 am voting was brisk, averaged at around 23 percent.

  As I went to vote with my EPIC card, I saw that may were not so lucky to
have their EPICs. Ofcourse I had to stand in Q for about three hours to get
myself web-camerad, and then the image printed and laminated, I got  the
EPIC card after a wait of almost 5 hours.!Different options of proof of ID,
such as ration card, driving license etc are there, but the most intriguing
issue that comes to my mind is what does the election commission and its
officials do, once the elections are over, as most of their work is
outsourced.?

For one, the list of voters is prepared by harassed school teachers in the
hot sun for the election commission. Verification is again done by some
others, not officials of the election commission. The issue of voters id, or
EPIC is tendered out to nepotist contractors, who have one laptop, and a web
camera , with lamination machine, and kickback is assured, I was told.
Because quite a few touts were assuring the last minute efforts of the
citizens to get their epics at a cost of 100 bucks door delivery.! Once the
election is over, why can not these officials of the election commission
attend to issue of EPIC themselves in their office instead of all these
middle men, social workers and socialites in the loop.? The tender process
is also such that only those with money and connections can get the benefit
of the contract., as in all governmental contracts, these officials of EC
appear very simpletons in front of the tv camera, claim to be honest, but
some sting operation is necessary to get to the bottom of this epic
business.

 When one of the members in this list, was posting about  the national ID
cards, and connected issues, it is  a bigger event with more chances of
bigger kickbacks, but as it is out of 100  crore population, the eligible
voters are around 70 crores, of that issue of epics to many are incomplete,
in many cases, one empty space has got 333 voters with same address( like in
Hyderabad) ., all this shows how efficient the election commission works,
and delay it causes to issue epics is in   epic proportions, is causing
bribery and corruption to thrive.

 Citizens can only hope that better work will be done.! I sincerly hope that
efficiency will dawn on the election commission after this  election, and
major efforts will be made by those in election commission to avoid
commission on tenders and do their work more efficiently. The officials
posted in election commission, I was told are, political string pullers for
the posting as this is a cushy job. Any feedback please.?

Regards,

Rajen.