[Reader-list] Delay breeds corruption, EPIC cards and corruption, role of election commission in breeding corruption.

Rajen Uppinangadi rajen882uppinangadi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:53:47 IST 2009

Dear Taha,

    this epic drama has its own repurcussions in the society, to continue
further with yesterdays experience at polling booth, average voting as per
the election commission was just about 50 percent, but this election
commission or media does not talk about 10 lakh voters in four
parliamentary constituencies alone, of Bangalore, - north, south, central
and rural, not been able to vote inspite of having the voters id, or epic
cards. To my horror, I saw a bunch of women, all burqa clad, protesting
against their name being not in the list, when I talked to them, they told
me that they did not expect Jaffer Sharief to contest, so they did not
"renew" their names.! In another area, dalits were protesting against not
being allowed to vote, they were soo drunk, that when they were told that
they had to go to the next booth, not the present one, their leaders
demanded that they should be allowed to vote in the booth of their choice.!

   Then there were a few , who were working couples, who were not present
when verification of the presence was done and hence eliminated from the
list, even when they has epic with them.! Thus even if many wanted to vote,
some wanted at the polling of their coice booth, some were mistakes from the
officials of the election commission. Efficiency quotient of this commission
is positively negative.

  Now as to your observations about two individuals, Prakash Javdekar and
Priety Zinta, I do not know if they hve any personal interests to promote
the NIC but for sure, I will not be surprised if they have, because it is
big money, for anyone. Moot point is like laws are needed for the society,
NIC is necessity for all citizens, but with so much staff sitting idle in
government offices, putting their coats on the chairs, wasting time in
canteens, it is better if they work for the NIC than out source the work.?
Laws are there, but are often misused but that does not mean we should
banish all laws. Same goes for NIC, the election commission has to work for
the issue as they have all the computers, printers, scanners and lamination
m/cs, why should they tender it to outsource ? As we have seen, public works
dept, has all types of engineers, but not for working on the bridge or a
road, but in nexus to kickbacks with private contractors.! Why should we
have so many posts of engineers if they can't work on the job, only to
prepare tender documents.?