[Reader-list] Delay breeds corruption, EPIC cards and corruption, role of election commission in breeding corruption.

Rajen Uppinangadi rajen882uppinangadi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 14:17:36 IST 2009

Dear Taha,

 you have made very important and substantial points in the issue of NIC,
very much appreciate them and the concern of the citizens as to use and
misuse of these cards have to be debated and addressed to, by policy makers,
truely, it is stupendous task for any nation with the size of the population
that free India has to address these issues of citizenship, privacy of
citizens, strict control over the information gathered,  identification of
citizens, , who are citizens  by birth, who are naturalised, who are
"illegal" by present laws in force etc. Moreover as we as citizens are part
and parcel of the system of governance have duties to get the ruke of laws
in place starting from ourselves, and as you rightly said, in many cases ,
the voters have failed to take proper steps till the nth minute to get their
right to vote. But more importantly, it is both the citizens and EC which
has not has had and shown keen- ness to implement the epic in a systematic
way. Many cases where the epics were deleted , were sheer due to over hype
in media that there are lakhs of bogus voters.! But funnily, bogus voters
remained, genuine voters eliminated as in the case of twins, Veena and Vani,
who look similar in photos, so the official thought it was a case of
duplication,
 even with ground report that the girla were twins in the same house..!

  As to low percentage of voting there are basically three issues here,
according to my perception, one is "that all politicians are the same, "
type of view, where voter feels that he has to work for his survival and
essentials whoever may come to power, it makes little difference for his
life, thus cynically keeps away from booth.
  secondly, the attitude that my one vote can not change anything, so let me
have a holiday, not the hot summer outing to poll booth type of approach.

  Lastly, the lots of dissenting workers of different parties who had to see
the candidates who were in different parties till last minute, now
contesting from diagnally opposit standpoint, which has given rise to
dissent in all the parties.Such preferred not to go to polling booth at all.

   I agree with you, that NIC is costly affair from national exchequer lots
of funds will go for this exercise, but issue here is,   rules are made so
that all citizens can have orderly, systmatic life, rules  are for making
life convenient to all citizens, such being the case why the rules should
cause inconvenience to all citizens when the officials get away with lazy
office hours with no work./less work.

  If one observes todays generation working in shifts including grave yard
shifts, we understand the work in IT, ITES and how demanding is that work,
hence rewarding remuneration for the work put in.Any way, more importantly,
we have to understand that implementation of any policy in correct method is
more important that policy itself.

Regards,

Rajen.