[Reader-list] Whither Self-Censorship? Media Councils? Censure?

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 26 15:14:49 IST 2009

Dear Rakesh

Totally agree with your words "The freedom of speech has an inherent duty within it that people should speak the truth, and what they are not sure about, they should state that it's their opinion."

While this has it's own dimensions in Private Domains, here (I hope you agree) we are talking 'Free Speech' in the Public Domain and especially by the Media.

Howsoever Free we might desire Freedoms should be, there cannot be any Unconditional Freedom because that would for sure lead to exploitation. All Freedoms have to be regulated for sake of the cliche 'One entity's Freedom ends where another entity's Freedom begins'

Think about the functioning of Capital Markets under the Free Market Economy regimes. They have (in India) regulatory overseeing by RBI, SEBI and the Stock Markets themselves. Yet a 'SATYAM' took place because the regulatory institution of External Audit failed (either by collusion in the fraud, or by not doing the due-diligence). But the first regulatory requirement is the Internal Audit which was totally corrupted in the case of 'SATYAM'.

Whenever we talk about Press Freedom (Media Freedom), accountability to or answerability to the the requirements or injunctions of any external regulatory regimes is anathema to most.

Where is this Self- Audit, Self-Regulation, Self-Censure by the Media in India? Some institutions do exist, but their effectiveness can be judged by the regularity with which the Media Freedom is abused either blatantly or subtly.

It is unfair to ask for an individual or a group to approach the Courts for castigating this abuse of Freedom indulged in by the Media. Unfair to expect an individual or group to match the physical and financial stamina of a Media organisation who (I am quite certain) would have Lawyers on retainership if not in actual employ.

Should the State step in with a Media Regulator? That might be seen as and would lead to censorship.

What then is the solution?

Kshmendra