[Reader-list] News Items posted on the net on Multipurpose National Identity Cards-111

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 27 02:34:00 IST 2009

http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/details.asp?id=apr0809/at04

PC ridicules BJP’s claim to tackle influx
Spl Correspondent

 NEW DELHI, April 7 – Countering BJP’s tall claims on curbing illegal
influx from Bangladesh within 100 days of coming to power, Union Home
Minister, P Chidamabaram lampooned the notion, asserting that it was a
long and hard task. Chidambaram on Tuesday questioned BJP’s claim that
multi-purpose national identity card (MNIC) was its brain child,
claiming instead that it was Rajiv Gandhi, whose government first
started the pilot project in Rajasthan.

“I cannot support such a statement that international border can be
sealed within 100 days. The BJP was in power for six year and now it
wants to do it in 100 days,” he said.

Stating that it is a long and hard work, Union Home Minister said that
Government of India has to work with Governments of Bangladesh and
Myanmar. “I am not yet happy, we have to heighten our diplomatic
efforts and we have to work with Bangladesh and Myanmar,” he said.

The 17-page booklet released by the Union Home Minister, deals at
length on the issue of MNIC, perhaps to set the record straight. The
Congress-led UPA Government is implementing a clear Action plan on
MNIC.

L.K.Advani recently made a curious statement that the BJP will
initiate the MNIC project if it comes to power in 2009 elections. This
is a remarkable statement that demonstrate either ignorance and
slumber or denial of facts.. The truth is that MNIC has forged ahead
under the Congress-led UPA government, while the BJP has been in deep
slumber.

The concept of pilot project was drawn up in 2003, but it went into
hibernation under the NDA Government and the implementation began only
after UPA government came to office. The pilot project has since been
implemented and 12 lakh identity cards have been delivered along with
creation of data base of 24.64 lakh persons.

Preparations for National Population Register along with Census of
2011 are underway, said the booklet.

The booklet ‘Protecting India from terror’ deals with various aspect
of internal security including long term police recruitment plans,
filling vacancies in forces, setting up counter insurgency and
anti-terrorism schools, a 100-day action plan, amongst others.