[Reader-list] When was the first time you were told there is God?

Pheeta Ram pheeta.ram at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 11:00:54 IST 2009

"You make me laugh Murali," says Jahanvi. There is a bit of childish
rashness and irreverant matter-of-factness ( though
totally misplaced) the way you make an offer. The options are not available
like some commodity in our nearest shop, or Mall
if you will. There are many such experiments that are going on all over the
world. People have also set up "gated communities" and profess to be
citizens of another world that belongs to another day. Can you suggest me a
list of communities in India itself that are experimenting the way i have
suggested? What i would venture to suggest to you "personally" is to find
out the reasons why such communities are still segregated and away from the
public knowledge. Are they really communities that profess no faith, and if
they do not, what is the nature of their faith in the first place. We are
fortunate enough that people in so large a number are gracing this
discussion forum; one rarely gets such dedicated readers who also spend time
responding to fanatical proposals (and run for alarm at the slightest
provocation).

With faith and religion are attached many other issues that have already
been debated in hallowed intellectual circles but their conclusions have not
been able to percolate down to the masses like us. The problems are as much
psychological as they are cultural. Take for example today's kewl college
going brats. They wear Che Guevara T-shrits and claim to belonging to no
religion live and act like hippies of 70s though fall far short of that
because of reasons too obvious to merit a mention. Now one might ask is this
the kind of "thing" that i am proposing. Certainly NOT! These guys don't
even know who Che was, somebody would as well tell you that he was a Harlem
pop star of the 60s or 20s if you will or just a "pop star." Moreover, they
would shoot a nearest temple at the first instance, whether for the sake of
girls or to crack an entrance test. I was shocked to see many kewl guys
fitted in branded jeans chanting Hanuman Chalisa when i dragged myself out
of curiosity to a temple in Delhi.

Things run deep under kewl T-shirts!
We need to understand many such paradoxical webs, not individually
but "communally" through such a forum.
Best